Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Army Meritorious Unit Citation

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by Brian Warren, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

Rich my problem is this my father has a MUC wreath insignia on his uniform sleeve which is still in his possession he remembers receiving the citation in Kunming China at the end of the war I received his unit history the 69th Medical Depot Company from the National Archives it is now online and states that the unit received the award on Sept 1, 1945. I have tried several different government agencies looking for proof of my fathers unit receiving the award all have reported it does not exist. I have researched extensively and have found 17 total USARMY units receiving this award for the China Theater USFCT. 14 of these units are on one General Order # 136. These units are the 93rd QM Batt, 178th QM Batt,517th QM Group, 547th QM Depot Company, 3421st Ordnance Medium Automotive Maintenance Company, 3477th Ordnance Medium Automotive Maintenance Company, 3925th Quartermaster Truck Company, 3927 Quartermaster Truck Company, 3930th Quartermaster Truck Company, 3942 Quartermaster Truck Company, 3944th Quartermaster Truck Company, 3946th Quartermaster Truck Company, 3949th Quartermaster Truck Company, 4011th Signal Service Battalion. There are three others the 95th Station Hospital GO 55 SOS, USFCT, 3198th Signal Service Batt GO 283,Hqs, SOS, USFCT ,40th Military Police Service Battalion GO 90, Hqs, USFCT. It would seem that the 69th would have had to have some kind of relationship with one of these units? How do your obtain a General Order? Who do you go to? What do you think?

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

What is the date of GO #136? Is it also 1 September 1945? If not, then the 69th received its award under a different GO, which is what I suspect. NARA usually has the GO filed by theater. If GO #136 is dated prior to 1 September then the GO is #135 or lower. If dated after 1 September then the GO is 137 of higher. Always assuming the GO with the 69th's MUC was issued by USFCT. A unit does not receive a MUC via association with another unit...that would defeat the whole purpose of the MUC.

3. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

All reference for General Order#136 has only one dtd 1945 all the other list dtd as undated. All 7 QM truck companies are listed as 15 Jan-15 Jun 45 the three QM Batt are listed as 15 Jan-15Jul 45 the 3421 Ord Med Auto Main Comp is 28 Oct44-31 Mar 45 the 3477 Ord Med Auto Main Comp is2 Jun-10 Sept 45 the 4011 Signal Service Batt is listed 15 Mar-31 July45. Also on the history of the 69th Medical Depot Company it lists the time of service Oct 44-31 Jul 45 dtd Sep1,45. Also lists that at the the time that the C/O is writing the history of the unit that it is the only medical supply in the China Theater. You can google the 69th the history has been posted on a CBI website. I have had some luck with Golden Arrow research everything they have found I have had posted on the CBI website.

4. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

Also GO #55 dtd 25Jun45,GO # 90dtd 21 Apr 46, GO 283 dtd 19 Dec 45

5. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

6. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

I extracted this list online Department of the Army Pamphlet 672-1 Decorations,Awards,and Honors Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Registar. I read the entire book three times from front to back I do not think there are any more GOs in this book for the China Theater.

7. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Member

Tom I also have another question for you my fathers DD-214 lists his unit as the 69th Medical Depot Company and it states he received Campaign Credit for the Burma Campaign while in this unit. That being said I can not find any mention of the 69th Medical Depot Company in the online USArmy Fort Benning Campaign Participation Credit list. The 69th is not mentioned on either online list for anything?

8. James' Daughter

James' Daughter New Member

9. James' Daughter

Hello Brian, I'm not sure if you found the GO Report. I hired a researcher at the National Archives College Park, because I wanted to fill in the blanks from what I received from St.Louis in the morning reports. When I received the unit history from College Park, it included all letters, documents and GOs mentioned in the morning reports, as attachments. I took an interest in your question because my father was in a Medical Sanitary Unit in the UK.

10. James' Daughter

I just read through all of the posts. It looks like you've looked in all of the right places. I wish you the best with your search.