Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Army scout training for infantry

Discussion in 'Military Training, Doctrine, and Planning' started by Riter, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

What type of scout training if any was offered for American infantry privates? I know cavalry were used as scouts, but I'm looking only into infantry.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  2. Takao

Takao Ace

This scout had none. He was an MP, got bored with it and put in for fighter pilot training. Then, the Battle of the Bulge started, and he was sent to the 90th ID. The platoon seargent came up to him and asked him to be a scout. His training was done at platoon level, but he did have some ROTC experience.

Article here.
    A Scout in Patton’s Third Army - Warfare History Network

Riter likes this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Here's a PDF of a Masters thesis titled "Training of the American Soldier During World War I and World War II" written by Maj. Roger K. Spickelmier. I have not read it, but it may have some information pertinent to your question.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a185226.pdf

Riter likes this.
  4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Many thanks guys. Both links were useful. Apparently not much thought was given to training soldiers as scouts. Guess you'd had better be a Boy Scout before the war if you wanted fieldcraft and scouting (pre-war Scouts could earn a merit badge in stalking).

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I would think it is like today's military--just about none--no ''advanced'' training ....I doubt they had time for ''specialized'' /long term training for your ordinary GI....they may have gotten rudimentary training and/or graduates of certain schooling, belonging to a company, battalion, or regiment might give some training to the '''BootCampers'''
    .....in the 80s, there was a Scout/Sniper school for the USMC-regimental or division specific, I think .....but the ''ordinary''' Marine never got Scout training

Riter likes this.
  6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Try Alamo Scouts. Looks to be the beginning of Special Forces.

The Alamo Scouts

7. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Alamo Scouts were a different breed apart from the common infantry scout.