Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Arnhem

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Mussolini, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Hello everyone! I know its been, well, years since I last logged in here.

But...I finally have a chance to go on a proper WW2-in-Europe visit.

In exactly two weeks, I will be in Amsterdam for a few days. Long flight for a short trip, but I could use a break from the local scenery.

I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where to go?

I do plan on going to Arnhem (via Train) and get the bus down to the Airborne Museum. Also go to the John Frost Bridge and the Museum that is located there.

I would love to get over to Doorwerth Castle but with no car, not sure how to get there (I don't think they have Uber/Lyft over there).

Will be an interesting visit either way as I play a lot of Post Scriptum which is mostly set during Operation Market Garden and takes place in those locations (Heelsum, Doorwerth, Oosterbek, Arnhem).

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

To be honest been to Europe with Inter--Rail in 1988-89 the last time. I would suggest do not miss the Normandy area and especially in Amsterdam the Anne Franck Museum!!!! The latter takes time so reserve a day at least. Normandy would take a week at least I fear..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  4. Bolshevik

Bolshevik Active Member

Hasn't the actual bridge at Arnhem been replaced?

Isn't the present bridge a modern construction, post war?

5. Takao

Takao Ace

The original bridge was destroyed by the Dutch in 1940. The Germans rebuilt it, completing it by mid-1944. After the failure of Market Garden, B-26s destroyed it on October 7, 1944. The Allies replaced it with a Bailey Bridge, until the bridge was rebuilt in 1948. Although rebuilt, the bridge is quite similar to the German one.

Carronade likes this.
  6. Mussolini

The John Frost Bridge (as it is called today) is an exact replica of the one the Airborne assaulted during Market Garden. Its an in-use bridge but was built to look like the one that was there.

I am only in Europe for 4 days, all in Amsterdam, so anywhere else is out of the question. We're skipping the Anne Frank Museum - my sister isn't too keen on that sort of thing - and are going to other Museums instead (like the Van Gogh). I do get one day to take the train out to Arnhem. No car, so will probably be able to get to the Hartenstein Airborne Museum by bus, but Doorwerth Kastell is a bit too far unless they have some form of Uber out there.

Either way, the train goes to Arnhem before going towards Oosterbeek by bus, so will probably do the John Frost bridge first before heading elsewhere.

7. Owen

Owen O

8. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Did not know that, thanks. Did the Dutch destroy other bridges? Were they trying to hold off the invaders, or just make the soon-to-be-occupied country less useful to the Germans?

River traffic was/is an important element of European logistics in peace or war, so dropping a bridge into the river would do double duty, blocking both road and water traffic. All the better if they did it to other branches of the Rhine also.

9. Mussolini

The river is pretty big and splits around an island near the bridge.

I've got transportation sorted (a driver/guide for the day) thanks to my sister, so I should be able to get everywhere I want to on that day.

I start my journey in a little over 12 hours from now. Trying to stay up late tonight so I can sleep on the flight (arrives 8AM Amsterdam time).

10. Mussolini

Trip over and back home.

Arnhem was quite impressive. The town itself, not so much, since its virtually all been rebuilt since the war. The bridge is there of course (again, not the real one). Oosterbeek is far better - location of the Hartenstein Airborne Museum. Quite a large exhibit there, some very impressive items and stories. An interesting 'experience' in the basement. Didn't have the time to walk the 8KM Perimeter Trail.

Not on google maps, but the Arnhem War Cemetery is nearby to that Museum. Very well taken care of, lots of flowers around the graves. Every year, local kids plant new flowers etc. Very somber.

Ricky and Kai-Petri like this.
  11. Mussolini

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Try smalling the pics with computer. The mouse's right click and " change the picture size" and save that photo with smallest choice and save it then upload it. For some reason the site only accepts the smaller photos.

13. Owen

Owen O

No. Link gives me this.
    WWII Forums - Error
    You do not have permission to view this album

Ah , going to you profile I can get to your 2 photos.

14. Takao

Takao Ace

Helps to be logged in...
    Was logged in & clicked on link. Was automatically logged out when the paged opened with the same message. Logged back in and all was fine.

Owen likes this.
  15. Owen

Owen O

Good point.
    Only saw error message & didn't notice I'd been logged out.