Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Artillery of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by scaramouche, Jan 11, 2005.

1. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Among the literally thousands of photos my friend G. von Rauch recently sent me from Germany were the following types utilized by the "Republicans; "Loyalists", or "Reds"-

A Bofors 37 mm L.46 AT gun, which served alongside great numbers of Russian 45 mm L.46 Model 1942, a St. Chammond mod. 1897 75 mm L.36 QF, supplied by he French government, and a Schneider 75 mm L.25.4 mod. 1912

2. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A Vickers 4.5 Howizer Mk. l (114 mm)- These guns were aparently acquired by the Spanish government after 1919. A number were either sold or donated to Finland in 1939-and later fitted aboard captured Russian tank chassis.Also, two magazine cuttings which show the A.A. defenses around Barcelona. Note the ultra-modern Oerlikon 20 mm L.70 mod. 1937, and a 105 mm A.A. manufactured in Spain at the Reinosa Artillery Plant, near Santander.

3. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, i'm infantry but here you have a brief history of Spanish artillery from XIX century till now:
    http://perso.wanadoo.es/padron/artilleria/
    in spanish only, sorry, but photos are fairly good.

Right now i can't scan any photos for the forum, because i'm in the middle of university exams. If you're interested in spanish materiel, let me know and i'll search for it in my library if it's not on the WWW.

4. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Absolutamente! post those pohotos whenever you can Kellhound!
    Saludos! :p

P.S. AS they say in Spanish:" There are two types of fools; those that loan books and those who do not return them..Probably the most complete work on Spanish artillery is a three volume set (profusely illustrated!) published in the 1950s, "Historia de la Areillería Española"-which now is part of this friend;s library in Palma de Mallorca.... :angry: :angry: