Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Artists Rifles

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Stevin, May 22, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Question with which I hope our English friends can help me:

I am researching the death of Major C.E. Williams of the Artists Rifles. He was KIA on 23 December 1944 near the Dutch town of Born. On his marker his unit is named as Artists Rifles. After the war this regiment became the core of 21 SAS TA.

I believe that during the war this unit had nothing to do with the SAS however. It seemed that this once proud regiment was relegated to some sort of officers set-up.

Can anybody tell me more about the Artists Rifles during WW2? What was their role? I was let to believe it was some sort of officers training unit before they (the officers) were transferred to other units.

On the CWGC site he is mentioned as being part of the Rifle Batallion.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Stevin

2. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Stevin: Checkout this web site "http://www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/specfor/SAS.htm". The site still has some sections under construction but deals alot with the SAS and the units that were the core in founding the 21st SAS. It has some links to veterans groups also. I hope this helps.

3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

This is a quick post before I get to my books to check it for you.

The Artist Rifles became part of the London Regiment in 1908, and served in WW1. They were initially used as an officers training unit, and then became an infantry battalion by 1917. They had close links with the Rifle Brigade, and I believe even in WW2 some of their personnel served with the RB.

Elements from the regiment became 21st SAS, but I don't think your man is part of that as it would be recorded on the CWGC site.

I will come back to you with a further answer.

Paul

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thnx, I appreciate the efforts. So far I have found nada on their war time involvement. Not in my books, not on the internet. Except what I wrote before. His grave marker says Artists Rifles, The CWGC site says Rifle Bn.

look forward to any pointers!