Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ASW b24 cloaking device

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by majorwoody10, Aug 17, 2007.

1. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i read somewhere about a late war anti sub invention where they mounted various colored lights to the wings of b24s which could be set to match the DAY TIME sky color and thereby make the approaching bomber almost inviseble to u boat lookouts in the conning tower ..at least until it was to late to dive..anyone ever here of this ? DID IT WORK ?

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    RAF Coastal Command found that fitting powerful lights to the wings made the aircraft less likely to be spotted.

It does kinda make sense - all you can see of an aircraft in the distance is a black dot with thin black lines either side. If you effectively 'mask' these lines with light, all you will see is a little black dot, this cutting the chance of spotting it and also of correctly identifying it as an enemy plane (or any kind of plane).

3. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i think this was something more elaborate ..and why not light up the nose too if lights is all it takes .make the dot also disappear ..i think they were useing sophisticateded color schemes ..white lights would work good going down sun in the early morning prolly...

4. Commando

Commando recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I hadn't heard of this, but I would like to know more about it.