Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Atlantic Documentery.

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Bish OBE, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

A new series ' The Battle of he Atlantic' begain on BBC 2 tonight. Anyone else see it. It was an excellent programme. It inluded recriations of life on Merchant ships and U-Boats, which looked very well done. It also had wartime footage, inluding footage from a camera crew tha went out with the U-99 on several early patrols.It was good to see the master in action. But best of all were the interviews with vets from both sides, including several from the 99. My only regret was that i did'nt tape it. Looks to be an excelent series.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Yes, Bish - I saw it too - and didn't tape it !

Definitely a 'superior' documentary - that's the BBC for you ! Very impressive to see the U-Boat veterans ( especially the one who served with Otto Kretschmer ). And heartrending to hear from the survivors of Merchant ships and the Royal Oak. What terrible things they endured.

Incidentally, I've got a tatty copy of 'I Sank The Royal Oak' by Gunther Prien. Published in English in 1954, I think it sold about 2 copies ! After watching this programme, I'll finally get around to reading it.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

BBC has always excellent series. It is a pity that they take a long while to reach here. But I am looking forward to watch them. I was impressed with "The coulour of the war" and "The war of the centrury".

4. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Thats true. I think most of us know of the hardships of the U-boat me but we forget about the Merchant Sailors. I could not imagine being on a ship full of aviation fuel back then.

Friedrich, i am sure you will be impressed with this one to.