Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Atlas, maps

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by hamburg, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. hamburg

hamburg Member

Hi

I'm looking for battle maps in small scale for westeren Europe and Pacific. A few years ago I saw one in bookstore with the title something like Pentagon maps WW2 ETO(still kicking myself for not buying it), but now I can't find it. Any sugestiones?

Thank you

Rudi

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Great site, Larry. Thanks. Right into my bookmarks.

4. hamburg

hamburg Member

Thank you for your replay, but I'm looking for something in smaller scale. I would like to follow smaller units trough the battle.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You'll probably not find a single source for small unit action maps, you'll need to track down the books on those actions and hope they have good maps with the text. Here's a possible source for some of what you need, a small mountain of information: Online Bookshelves - CMH Series and Collections

What we need is a computer program that takes the maps we have and compiles them, so you have a choice of "continuous" or "step by step" viewing of the action. While you're at it, put a slider in so we can slow down the action. (And yes, for most actions that amount of information simply doesn't exist, we're lucky if we have one map with start and stop position.)

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The West Point Atlas of American Wars. The one I suspect you are thinking about is a book put out by Barnes and Noble called The US Army Atlas World War II. That was a reprint of the various maps from the US Army official histories; the "Green Book" series.

7. hamburg

hamburg Member

Thank you. I think this is the book I saw.
    Anybody own or saw The times atlas of world war 2, 1996 by Keegan? Any opinions?