Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' Sign Stolen

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by kerrd5, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Arbeit macht frei is not only used on the camp gate , its more a 'slogan' wich covers a whole program . Bitter irony the camps were a part of it but the term is older , if i understand right the term was already used by setting up Dachau in the earlier thirties ('36) .
    The policy was that camps could have you 'resocialized ' by work (read :intimidation)
    Many of the first wave 'visitors' were direct political opponents who did come out after a while ..(most at least ...) .

Only after wannsee meeting in january 1942 the endlösing gets the green light and then the term gets really macabre as most camps were turn into deathcamps .

2. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

"Five Polish petty criminals are awaiting trial in the case of the Auschwitz sign stolen in December last year. Prosecutors believe the theft was masterminded from Sweden by Anders Högström, a former neo-Nazi leader, and are trying to extradite him to Poland.

"Marcin A., 29, is awaiting his trial in a prison on Montelupich Street in Krakow, Poland. The historical building dates from the 19th century and was first used by a military court. Germany's Gestapo later used the basement to torture and murder prisoners. When World War II ended, the Polish judicial system hanged SS guards from the Auschwitz concentration camp here.

"In the worst-case scenario, Marcin A., a construction worker from near the northern Polish city of Torun, will serve a 10-year sentence. He stands accused of having helped to steal an "item of particular cultural importance." That's how lawyers describe the cynical "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes you free") sign that formed the top part of the entrance gate at Auschwitz, now a museum and memorial site."

Murky Motives: Accused Auschwitz Sign Thieves Face Trial in Poland - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I see the Poles got their sentences through an agreement so there will be no trial, I think the longest term was 2 1/2 years.

The Swede who put them up to it has yet to be tried, or sentenced it seems. And I have yet to see his name published. Might have missed that however since I'm only following the story in drips and drabs.

4. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

I am happy that they got the sign back, but I am angry that the longest term is 2.5 years. I think that the minimum sentence should be 4 years and I think that the leader of the group should get 7-7.5 years. IMO

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Update:

STOCKHOLMA Swedish court ruled Thursday that a former neo-Nazi leader arrested in Sweden can be extradited to Poland, where he is suspected of being involved in the theft of the infamous Auschwitz sign.

The Stockholm district court said 34-year-old Anders Hogstrom can be handed over to Poland on condition that, if convicted, he would serve any prison sentence in Sweden. A prosecutor said Poland agreed to the deal.

Polish investigators suspect Hogstrom of incitement to commit theft of a cultural treasure in connection with the Dec. 18 theft of the "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign at the former Nazi death camp.

See:

Court OKs extradition of Swede in Auschwitz case - Yahoo! News

Skipper likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

What is he facing in Poland ? A 6 month prison sentence for robbery in a four star Swedish prison????

7. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

In the words of my brother, a retired DOC worker (Carl can agree to this I'm sure) "Anybody in prison, anywhere, for anything, can count on an enemy with a score to settle"

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You have a wise brother Luke.

9. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

I'm going to Auschwitz this monday.

10. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor