Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Auschwitz's "Gypsy Camp" Anniversary Marked

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Feb 27, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Sad that the prejudice still seems to exist.
    "Monday marks 75 years since the Nazi genocide against Sinti and Roma started. These communities struggled for decades for official recognition of that crime and still live with daily prejudice.
    The ancestors of Silas Kropf were deemed racially inferior by the Nazi regime, and at least 35 of them were captured by SS soldiers and deported to concentration camps. His great grandparents and grandfather, who lived in a village near Frankfurt, spent years in hiding to evade deportation. The 23-year old Kropf, who is currently studying at Frankfurt University, was born four decades after the fall of the Nazi regime, but his life has nonetheless been shaped by his family’s Holocaust experience.
    “Since the very beginning of my childhood, I was always told by my mother we have to hide that we are part of the minority,” Kropf said.
    Kropf is part of the German Sinti and Roma minority, who in English are frequently called “Gypsies”, a term many consider insulting. The people of this stateless minority emigrated from the Indian sub-continent around 1,000 years ago and settled in many European societies.
    Today there are an estimated 70,000 to 100,000 German citizens who identify as Roma or Sinti. This minority would have been much larger if not for the systematic killings that began exactly 75 years ago, on February 26th 1943, when the so-called “Gypsy Camp” in Auschwitz was opened."
    Roma and Sinti: Germans for centuries, but still considered outsiders