Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Author Claims Steering Error Sank the Titanic ..

Discussion in 'Living History' started by sniper1946, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Book is called "Titanic's Last Secrets", by Brad Matsen in association with John Chatterton and Richard Kohler, 2008, published by Twelve, Hatchette Book Group USA, 237 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017.

Website at www.HatchetteBookGroupUSA.com

sorry, I should have posted sources, like all good rogues should.

2. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Remember, the Promenade was enclosed to stiffen the vessel in response to the 'panting' of the forward end. Whilst 'Titanic' was fitting out, it was not realised, yet, that the expansion joints were going to be a problem.

Likewise, only the forrad end of the ships were 'stiffened' because the 'panting' was at the forwrd end of the ship.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Considering that new cruise ships being launched are bigger than the one before, do we have a 'Titanic' waiting to happen?

4. Mehar

Mehar Ace

I believe the theory is that had the Titantic hit the Iceberg "head on" it could have remained sea worthy and the damage wouldn't have been as severe, perhaps the ship could have made it to port or more survivors could have been rescued.

RMS Titanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assuming this account is true, I'd think it would be more so the fault of the regulations of the time than anything else. But it's always easier to blame the "pilot". Given the timing of the book it should of course be taken with a grain of salt, at least until further evidence/tests can be conducted. It's one thing that all of the survivors have passed away but now only a few decades remain before the wreck itself is gone.

As an aside, Lightholler was bad a$$! As a teen he came to the Yukon to search for Gold, ran out of money, became a cowboy in Alberta, went homeless, hitched his way back to England, almost started an international conflict in South Africa, and then joined the Titanic. He certainly had an interesting life.

5. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks for giving the book title Volga!

This is what I don't get so far. What caused the "panting" in the forward end that did not happen aft? Was it to do with weight distribution or something like that? Was the aft end more structurally "built better"?

See, to me, I find it courious that the aft expansion joint would not have any "panting" as well, considering if the hull in both areas were constructed the same.

Furthermore, to my limited knowledge, the area of the aft expansion joint should have just as much panting or even more. The 3 story high reciprocating engines were just aft of the joint, and they were the heaviest machinery on the ship. And that is indeed around the area where the ship broke, as relative to them sticking out of the stern today. Just above the engines, there was a vent/light shaft to allow illumination onto them which some believe also caused weakness. Also, as I stated before, the vast 1st class dining room was in part of the break as well.