Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Axis and Allies

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Otto, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I wonder if anyone here play Axis and Allies or other ww2 board games, (and I'm not talking about RISK either!).

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I used to play Axis and Allies, but it was VERY lame and I gave my game away after it had just sat on a shelf for about 4 years never having been touched since the last game played. I DEFINATELY like Talonsofts Eastern Front, and I know, it aint a board game, but just thought I would give it a plus anyway.

3. Otto

Anyone else into Axis and Allies?

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

From what i have heard, Axis & Allies is a good boardgame. I cant say i have ever played it (I only have Risk...and Risk + risk II for the comp). There arent many people around where i live that play wargames in general, so i decided not to buy it.

However, i am more into WWII games on the comp. I have The Operational Art of War: Vol I and Vol II: Elite Edition if anyone else is interested in a PBEM game.

Does anyone here get PCGamer?

5. Otto

It really is a fun game. I haven't played in years, but I had a good time with A&A and my friends for years. I have a lot of info on that game, hmmmm,... maybe I'll put it on the site. Anyways it will have to wait for a LOT of other things to happen before any A&A stuff gets done!!!

6. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

Axis & Allies in no way reflects the actual fighting of World War II. As a war sim it ranks pretty low. ...But for a fun wargame to play on a Saturday I loved it. I have three copies.
    Plus I have purchased the Europe at War expansion set by Xeno games. Xeno games pack provides you with a new map of Europe, N. Africa and the Near East. Of course Europe itself is made up of about 35 zones on this map. Some zones have ports, allowing naval units to hide from enemy ships, plus AA guns and aircraft in the same zone, provide cover for ships in port. The Xeno pack also provides marines and cruiser pieces.
    Another expansion that I have is Wargames Inc. Dateline WWII pack. This pack plays on the original map but adds several new wrinkles. Instead of tech rolls you are allowed to buy Scientist pieces for $10. Each Scientist gives you one die for a tech roll each turn. Players are allowed no more than 4 Scientists. This pack also has Truck pieces which allow infantry to travel two zones. The US and Japan can purchase long range aircraft on turn one. It also adds marines and cruisers.
    In 2000 MB released an official Axis & Allies Europe game. For $45 its basicly the $15 Xeno games expansion with a nice board.
    Xeno games has a website, but I dont know the URL offhand. Xeno now sells about 4-5 different A&A expansion packs.
    Wargames Inc. went out of business in the mid 90's.

7. Ether

Ether Member

I have played Axis and Allies, like it was said before it's a fun game but not a very realistic war sim.

There is a computer version of this game out too and you can play it over the internet.

8. Otto

Anyone here interested in helping out on an Axis and Allies page and free members club? Post a message here and I'll send your info to the guy working on the project. Please let me know what your specialty is, or what information you can send.

9. Otto

*bump*

10. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

I have played the computer game of Axis and Allies, generally speaking I always prefer more diversity in units, territories and options.

11. Otto

A&A is definitely a Beer and Pretzels game, but I find some practicality in that a whole game can be completed in one evening. I know it is very unrealistic, but I enjoy it when I have time to play.

12. Ether

Ether Member

A&A might not have that many units and territories... But the problem is you can add all kinds of nice stuff that sounds cool but in terms of gameplay it probably won't be as balanced as A&A is.

If you play A&A alot and become experienced you will learn effective strategies that will cause the Allies to win at least 9 games out of 10.

It is rare for an axis win, but if you play correctly Russia will always be teetering on the verge of collapse and sometimes will fall. Japan will expand rapidly but eventually the Industrial advantages of the ALlies overcomes both of them.

So A&A isn't that unrealistic, if you want a board game that is a totally realistic war sim you'd have to build it in your backyard and play it over a month.

So ya Otto if you want some help on this A&A project send me a message I'm familar with just about any strategy that comes up in A&A... What NOT to do seems to be an important issue for people who aren't that experienced.

I've yet to run into any A&A players beyond my friends that are any good. People seem to play alot against brothers or something and think they are good but they aren't. If you think Axis have good chances at winning the game then you aren't playing properly. If you go after Japan with the allies you aren't playing efficiently, although i do it sometimes just to change things up.

Basically your strategies with Axis should always be a desperate all-out assault on Russia while doing your best to hold back the British fleet. If you get some damn good rolls you can win.

With the Allies just build a fleet with Britain, help it out with USA and then land troops like mad in Europe. It is very inefficient to attack japan, japan can never hurt USA even if you leave them totally free in the pacific. You can land troops way faster in attack range of germany than you can on Japan. With Russia you should always attack the first turn, where is your choice. I prefer attacking eastern europe or the ukraine, the idea is to force Germany into exchanging territories with tanks while you only send in infantry and fighters. It becomes a war of attrition which germany loses.

13. Otto

Ether,

I completely agree, the game is imbalanced, but I find part of the fun is coming up with ways to balance it.

I also agree that while this game insn't very realistic, no game can possibly realistic that akes place in four to six hours.

I'm setting up the A&A page as we speak, I'll let you know when that happens, in the meantime, if you have any info, photos etc concerning the game, send it my way.

More coming soon.

14. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

What you say is interesting. In the computer game, it is a lot easier for the Axis to win. I've played it several times on both sides and somehow the Allies never seem to get anywhere.