Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Axis Capitial Ships that survived ww2

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Hawkerace, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Could you guys possible try to aid me? I trying to show a fellow student of mine a makeshift (or actual) list of Axis (Germany, Italy, Japan) capitial or just surface ships by all means that survived the second world war. The only one I could think of that survived that had any real importance, or interest for that matter was the Prinz Eugen and the Italians had a couple of battleships but I don't know which and I know many of them were scuttled in atomic tests or just in ship graveyards, but regardless it would still be really interesting to know.

Thanks WW2F

You the best and you just need to show it one more time :)!

-Hawkerace

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I thought I had a list of the Japanese Navy at the time of surrender. I'll keep looking.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hawker when you say surface ship[s are you including the Km Zerstörers ? as there were several taken over by the Allies at wars end

4. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Yes I suppose I'll even add destroyers and whatever else.

Was there still a large amount of Navy after the war?

5. strangehistory

strangehistory Member

I don't know about the Axis motorships, but there certainly IS one "old school" ship around --and we're still using it! A fine iron-hulled sailing tall ship, the barque USS Eagle is the captured former German sail-training ship Horst Wessel. (Not sure I spelled the name right.)

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Here is the short list. I am just including battleships, battlecruisers, and aircraft carriers. Doing the smaller stuff is just too long a list.

Italy:
    Battleships

Guillo Cesare Interned Alexandria. To USSR as Novorossijsk 1945. Sunk due to accidental explosion 10/29/55 Sevastapol.

Caio Duilio Surrendered to Allies. Scrapped 1957

Andrea Doria Surrendered to Allies. Training ship Italian navy 1946 - Scrapped 1957

Vittorio Veneto Surrendered to Allies, Alexandria. Returned 1946. Scrapped 1948.

Italia As above.

Japanese:
    Battleships

Haruna, Hyuga, Ise All three were sunk in shallow water at Kure 3/19/45. All remained AA batteries afterwards. Scrapped 1947

Nagato War prize at Yokosuka. Sunk as target ship Bikini Atoll Test "Baker" 1946.

Carriers:

Junyo Surrendered Sasebo 1945. Scrapped 1947

Amagi Sunk Kure 3/19/45 in shallow water. Scrapped 1947

Katsuragi Surrendered Sasebo 1945. In service as repatriation transport to 11/11/46. Scrapped Osaka 1947.

7. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I will have a go at the capital ships (Battlesips and carriers) with an attempt at crusers, you really need a 1945 naval almanac like Janes for this though as the list is likely to be quite long if you include destroyers. In [] is the Allied nation they were assigned to if applicable.
    There may be some errors for the Japanese as I only used one very old source (Watts).

Italy:
    Battleships: Italia (ex Littorio), Vittorio Veneto, Giulio Cesare [to USSR], Andrea Doria, Caio Duilio
    Light cruisers: Cadorna, Montecuccoli, Aosta [to USSR] , Eugenio [to Greece], Abruzzi Garibaldi, Attilo Regolo [to France], Pompeo Magno [to France but not transfered, rebuilt by Italy as San Giorgio], Scipione africano [to France].

Germany:
    Heavy cruisers: Prinz Eugen [to USA sunk as part of Bikini atom bomb trials]

Japan: (most were scapped in 1945-1950).
    Carriers: Hosho, Junyo, Ryuho, Katsuragi, Kaijo, Ibuki (incomplete)
    Battleships: Nagato [to USA sunk as part of Bikini atom bomb trials]
    Heavy cruisers: Takao, Myoko
    Cruisers: Sakawa [to USA sunk as part of Bikini atom bomb trials], Kashima, Kitakami

TAG We cross posted, think our lists match exept for the Japs as I didn't count the "sunk in shallow waters", I wonder about the Hosho though ....

8. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Member

I guess you could say that one of Prinz Eugen's sister ships survived as well.

"Admiral Hipper
    was scuttled in dock at Kiel Deutsche Werke yards on 2 May 1945. Raised and moved to Heikendorfer Bay in 1946, she was broken up there between 1948 and 1949."

9. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I had also forgotten all about the German light cruisers,
    Nurnberg became the soviet Admiral Makarov
    Leipzig was captured and sung un the Nort Sea (reportedly with a load of toxic gas on board).
    Emden had a similar fate to Hipper