Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-17/B-24/B-25 tour

Discussion in 'Air Warfare' started by JCalhoun, Feb 26, 2007.

1. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
  2. bosworth gannaway

bosworth gannaway New Member

via TanksinWW2
    B-17 flypast

Seeing your post reminded me of an experience I had last year when I stayed with some pals in Greenwich, Conn. ( I am from England).

We had just gotten back to their place after a great days sailing in Long Island Sound. I had showered, sparked up a foot long Cuban cigar and poured myself about a half pint of "Maker's Mark". Throwing open the doors from my bedroom on to their first floor balcony, I walked out to see if the trout were rising on the lake at the end of their garden. To my astonishment the air was filled with the sound of radial engines, and no more than about 300 metres away and about 100 metres up, a B-17 swept into view coming around the side of their house ! As she thundered by I saw that several of the crew positions were manned and the side window gun post had a guy waving madly as this beautiful bird flew over the trees and disappeared. Like a mad thing I scrambled downstairs to find my chums and let 'em know what all that amazing noise was. Bugger me, even as I explained what had happended, the sound of those four "Cyclones" came beating over the trees again - she had returned !
    Dragging my pals out into the garden, we stood there as the B-17 flew over for a second time !!!! I was just so happy to see her that I didn't even notice that the garden's inbuilt sprinkler system had kicked in so I got drenched !! Man alive, what an experience !!!
    BG

3. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    bosworth:
    I've enjoyed the same priviledge of hearing the distinct sound of four snarling radial-engines as they passed-over my house in the form of a B-17G... and a B-24J Liberator.
    Both aircraft flew into Bloomington Airport a few years ago. I was out in the back-yard when they overflew the town giving "rides" for $400 US per-person. It made the hair stand-up on my neck when I heard them before even seeing what it was. Just breath-taking.
    On one occasion I was driving along thru town when I heard the sound of radials, then looked over as the B-24 passed over the city on it's way back to the airport.
    I've also been out at the local airport... and actually watched a B-17G come-in and land. VERY special moment.

Tim

4. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think the only time ive ever seen a B-17 was when it was parked and not working :(

5. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Seeing the B-24 flying over the highway was how I found them the first time. Not sure where I was going but I don't think I made it. I made a detour instead! ;)

6. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't blame you! I've seen all three types at air shows (although the Liberator was an LB-30), along with the B-29. I did happen to see a C-47 flying over my home a couple of days before one of the air shows, and that was a thrill for me. I also saw a quartet of P-51s flying over the road when I was heading to one of those air shows; those Merlins made the air shake!!!!

7. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
  8. Miller phpbb3

Miller phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    the B-25 kicked so much ass.

9. flying tiger phpbb3

flying tiger phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Dayton Air Force Museum has all types of airplanes and most of the Air Force One's. They have a large collection of American WWI, WWII planes and post-WWII. Dayton also has a German jet, not sure of the designation M-262 maybe, and a few other planes from other nations.

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2