Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-17 in Greenville, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Brayden Allen, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Brayden Allen

Brayden Allen Member

This past Saturday, I have to say was just flat out awesome. My aunt, uncle and I got to go down to my local airport and see a restored B-17 Flying Fortress. As I have mentioned before this type of plane is highly sentimental to me because my great grandfather, yes the one mentioned in my signature, served as bombardier aboard this aircraft. We were able to climb through the aircraft and talk to the guys who owned and worked on it. My uncle, who is above 6 feet kept talking about how tight it was inside the aircraft. The only downside was it started raining so we weren't able to see the aircraft fly but all in all an awesome experience.

Also, while we were there we visited the near by military history museum that had just opened months before. And i've got to say it was just as amazing. Inside they had uniforms, weapons, vehicles, etc. from the Spanish-American War to modern day. Some of my favorite items were the weapons they had which included a 2 Mauser K98s, an MP40, M1 Carbine, 2 Springfield Rifles, an M1 Garand, and a Thompson, all original. Also, they had an original Wehrmacht Uniform and a war used American Half-Track. I'll post pictures of all of these.

JJWilson likes this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Have you seen a B-17 fly in person before??

3. Takao

Takao Ace

That was Aluminium Overcast...we had Yankee Lady & Memphis Belle here in Reading, PA, over the weekend.