Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B.S. check, please?

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by OpanaPointer, Sep 13, 2010.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have we seen this before?

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I don't know if it's BS; but, those headlines didn't start appearing until 2007.

JAPAN MAY STRIKE OVER WEEKEND! « Friends of the American Revolution

Ralph Epperson's Latest Conspiracy Catalog

Digg - JAPAN MAY STRIKE OVER WEEKEND!

whatsup?: Nov 30, 1941 Honolulu Headline: JAPANESE MAY STRIKE OVER WEEKEND!

I am searching back issues from my private archive now....this may take a while.

I am thinking that if anything the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" may apply here; if in fact this head line did appear as purported.

3. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

It's a photochop job. Notice the main headline is blacker than the other headlines? That shouldn't be. The printing technology in those days would give an even ink spread over the whole plate on the web-press. All type was made of lead, and you couldn't alter the density of the ink on one headline without altering all of them.

I could recreate that in about ten minutes, and do a better job.

4. OpanaPointer

It was said that Kimmel didn't "Magic" to know war was coming, he only had to read the papers. The Hearings include front pages for various numbers of the Honolulu Star yelping "WOLF" several times.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Why would it be B.S.? I see no reason to doubt it.

The "War warning" messages went out on November 27, and on that same date General Short ordered his "Alert No. 1.", three days before this headline was printed. I also note that the headline does not state that "Japan May Strike Hawaii Over Weekend" but rather a general "Japan May Strike Over Weekend" An attack was expected, but only the Japanese actually knew when and where.

Ralph Epperson is only using this to sell his books. If he had an ounce of brains, he would realize that Sunday is still considered part of the weekend, and if the paper had meant that Japan would strike on December 6-7, the headline would read "Japan May Strike Next Weekend"

Gromit801,

Have you looked at some old newspapers lately. I dug out some of the old 1940s newspapers and Stars & Stripes copies that I have, and looked them over. While some have held up better than others, a few are similar to the photo that OpanaPointer posted.

I believe the term your are looking for is "fading." The larger, bolder headline usually holds up much better than the smaller print.

If you believe it is a fake, look what other newspapers were saying in 1941
    war with japan - Google News Archive Search
    There are many such news stories talking of war with Japan.

6. OpanaPointer

Takao, I agree that the US papers were hot with war news. However, I'm interested in this one headline. I think it's time to call Hawaii.

ETA: 808-935-6621, now I just have to wait for them to wake up.

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

8. OpanaPointer

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

10. OpanaPointer

Moron doesn't even know only the last one was a Congressional Investigation.

11. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Look good with some fish and chips, no salt but lots of vinegar sitting in it on a British bench in the rain. Washed down with a nice cup of tea.

Fish and chip paper is its preffered use.

12. OpanaPointer

There was a bit I saw once:
    (The younger crowd might not get that one in this world of plastic.)

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Although I too wonder at the truth of them, or whether they are B.S., that is probably not a good reason to doubt the validity of the front pages "Gromit". The newpapers did have that skill by then as can be seen on the New York Times front page of that day.

Goto:

Japan Wars on U.S. and Britain; Makes Sudden Attack On Hawaii; Heavy Fighting At Sea Reported

And they certainly had the BOLD print ability all through the forties, don’t forget the famous (or infamous) Dewey Defeats Truman 1948 Chicago Daily Tribune error.

14. OpanaPointer

Well, as we all know, "1 PM in Washington is 7:30 AM in Hawaii", so I have a while yet before I can call. I'm betting they have a canned answer for this ready, they must have gotten calls on it before now. (On second thought, given the level of concern about proper researching in the general public, maybe not.)

15. lwd

lwd Ace

Did I miss it or is there any reference to that article predicting where the attack would take place? Certainly many were expecting a Japanese attack, just not at PH. Except possibly from subs and sabatours.

16. OpanaPointer

[CT]You have to follow the breadcrumbs. They can't just lay it out or they'd be 'disappeared'. So you get a bit here, and a bit there, and you pick only the best bits. Same as with cherries, you know? [/CT]