Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B17 and B24 over my house

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by nachtjager61, Jun 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

Saturday I was sitting in my yard here in Seattle and I was reading the book called "The Mighty Eighth" about the US bomber campaign in Europe. As I am reading I hear a rumbling above from what sounded like a big 4 engine plane. I look up and flying low (a couple of hundred feet) right over me is a B17 bomber, wish I had my camera. Then about an hour later I hear the noise again, when I look up this time there is a B24 flying the same direction and very low right over me. Still wish I had my camera! Well I guess there must have been a show or something down at Boeing Field. As it turns out all day long the 2 bombers kept flying real low over my house and I got some very good looks at them. I looked online to see what was going on and I think they were offering rides in the planes for around $300 or $400 and I was wishing I had the cash to spare to go for a ride in one of those big old bombers.
    I did think it was extremely unbelievable that I am reading a book about the bombers and two of them fly low right over me at the same time that I am reading the book.
    I wish I would have known about the event so I could have gone there and taken photos of the two bombers and taken a tour of them, would have been some great photo opportunities.

2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Isn't it one of the greatest feelings in the world to see them fly above your house, especially when your not expecting them?

They did some flights with a 17 back a few years ago here in my town, and I was outside working in the yard. It flew over me like six times. It was the only time I think I really enjoyed pulling weeds!

Great story though, thanks for sharing!

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Those pics I use in my avatar sometimes are from one of those deals, that was when the B-17 named Sentimental Journey stopped in Billings for one of those tours coupled with our airshow. I couldn't afford the trip this time, but when Aluminum Overcast had stopped here a few years before, I wasn't quite as broke and I took a flight on it. In fact the one I'm using now is looking out the cockpit windshield of the B-17 I toured and did get pics of. I'll put the others I do have of it on the bottom.

Speaking of cameras, the reason I don't have pics of the Aluminum Overcast B-17 is because while I was signing the insurance waivers and getting instructions from the guys who would be giving the flight, I set my little Vivitar down on the table and didn't remember to pick it up until the flight was underway! I searched my pockets, no camera. And when I got back to the flight line, it was gone. So no pics.

It was still a great flight experience. The interior smallness of those big bombers was a shock to myself. At about 6'3" I was forever bending over to move around at all, and did manage to bonk my noggin a couple of times.

Attached Files:

4. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Aluminum Overcast is a beauty! I got to see that one when It came out here back in 2002 or so. I got some great pics as well.

There was one I visited when I was in high school called "Texas Raiders". Don't know if that one is still flying or not.

5. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

That would be an experience to ride in one! WOW! I'm not sure if they doing anything like that here in Wyoming. I might have to check around.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Here is some information, and it includes the Wyoming area, at least the Casper area next month.

Goto:

Wings of Freedom Schedule - The Collings Foundation

There are other aread around Wyoming that you might be able to reach as well, some in Colorado, Oregon and Kansas.