Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bachelor Recipes

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Looking for low effort, high nutrient, no wheat gluten meals...My favorite newly discovered recipe involves a crock pot, gluten free broth, boneless/skinless chicken thighs, canned corn/mushrooms fried in butter, quinoa, wild rice, marinara sauce season to taste. And variations thereof....or sesame crackers and cheese with a V8.

2. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

A favourite of my family is corned silverside. Use a crock pot, put brown or raw sugar, (half cup) with half a cup of brown vinegar. Toss in a whole orange, peel and all, cut into slices. NO SALT. Some use other things like an onion and certain other herbs, but I find it's not needed, as it spoils the essential flavour.

cover with water, cook on high for five hours.. Turn the joint over about halfway through to cook thoroughly. Meat should be cooked until just about to fall apart of it's own weight.

Serve with mashed potato, boiled carrots or cabbage, and peas.. No white sauce is needed.

A one pot meal that keeps on giving. When it's cold, it makes great sandwiches for the leftovers, and lasts for up to a week in the fridge.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I'm not seeing beans on toast or pot noodles in there......:p

4. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh. My favorite bachelor meal was a can of refried beans, package of Mission(tm) burrito-sized tortillas, some cheese (shredded or sliced, I'm not partial to one or the other) and a bottle of Frank's Red Hot(tm) sauce. Grab four tortillas, slap em on a plate and nuke for 45 seconds to get them nice and pliable. Scoop out about 1/4 can of beans per tortilla. I like to smush the beans around to make a little "wall/mound" a bit off-center, this makes it easier when folding it up, especially if you put them in a plastic container for lunch the next day. If you alternate sides the beans are on, when you fold them, you can stack two of them together so that they don't unroll on you before cooking. Anyway, after getting the cheese on, apply (liberally!) your preferred brand of hot sauce. Fold the bottom up, then the short side, followed by wrapping the long side of the tortilla over and tucking it underneath. I usually take two for lunch, and nuking the pair for 2:45 gets the cheese nice and melty. Been married 8 years now, and I still make these to take to work for lunch every other week or so.

5. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

"Can of refried beans"?...you are making something very interesting....I would only add how it was when I grew up....yes when mom was still feeding me.........things were just a little bit different. The beans.........only acceptable if secured yearly fresh from Dove Creek, Colorado which will cook up nicely and flavorful to an unimaginable good bean flavor. After all it is mountain grown (Still available today, but one has to watch out for counterfeit brands riding on the Dove Creek reputation). Of course then one had to make the tortilla at home preferably on a wood fired stove with juniper wood (just for the atmosphere) at the precise thickness and texture my mother chose to create. Also this flour could only come from the same region known as "Blue Bird" or "White Rose" flour which will create a certain taste only possible when cooked on good cast iron.(this flour also a regional specialty enjoys loyal following on the Rez and the southwest for the delicious fry bread and tortillas that can be made from it). Alas it is no longer a perfect world as in my case the women work out now and would laugh me down if I were to "insist" on a home made tortilla. Safeway does not always supply the brands of flour and never has had the beans from Dove Creek. I have to go to supermarkets adjacent to the Rez to get the brands I wish to use so it means a bit of a special trip to do that. I would add that the red chile sauce could be from "Chimayo" which is also a regional favorite and if you use a roasted green chile to lay across those beans...that is another variation if it comes from "Hatch" or "Chimayo" as well....my friends in Texas make special seasonal trips back to the state to secure adequate supplies of these items each year. It has become popular for out of state growers of these products to claim New Mexico origins to gain the higher price that would be paid for those items. The Colorado products are not a secret to regional users but the combination of these particular products will raise the grade many steps higher in flavor and eating enjoyment as others will also proclaim who have lived in our region for a few years if they have become accustomed to using these particular brands. I will say it is quite possible to avoid meats to enjoy these special flavors as the beans in this mix is a protein source that is one of very few items that can sub for meat in my taste buds so I am fully understanding of those who like this mix but poor Poppy there may be gluten in the flour so you might have to find a substitute for the tortillas of some kind as I would hate to tempt you into falling off the wagon here. I should add that the beans once cooked up can be mushed, combined with many different types of flavorings from onions to several ground seasonings of many kinds, combined with many kinds of meats if you wish to make this filling for the "burrito" you are wishing to create here. Variations are what makes this so acceptable over a period of time.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Brown one pound of hamburger.
    Add one jar of salsa.
    Simmer 5-10 minutes.
    Instant taco filling, nacho topping, burrito guts, etc.

7. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

My college subsistance recipe:(I was a batchelor)
    1. 2 cups of Texas long grained white rice steamed in nail holed double boiler pan(homemade rice steamer)
    2. any cuts of chicken that are on sale cheap
    3. in cake pan place chicken, place coating of kikkoman soy sauce all over chicken
    3. sprinkle ample coating of curry powder all over chicken, add a bit of ginger to brown spot the now green chicken
    4. cover with tin foil and bake one hour at 425 degrees.....use meat juice on rice along with chicken meat.

back in 1970 chicken wings were cheap and could be had by large volume almost for nothing and is what my college group used....now they are expensive.

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You will find any number of great slow cooker recipes here, I use the one to make my own yogurt all the time. I do find that my "starter" has to be replaced a bit more often than the site does, but it does make inexpensive yogurt that is very tasty. While I see many touting the use of rice these days, there is growing evidence that both brown (most toxic) and white rice carry high levels of metalic (not organic) arsenic. This is the result of the chemical being a residual left over from when the same fields were used for cotton production and arsenic was used to control the boll weevil. The problem is that "source of origin" isn't labeled on any grain product, there are many rice producing states which never had the weevil problem.

At any rate....

Goto:

A Year of Slow Cooking: Alphabetical Listing of Recipes

or:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Slow-Cooker/Main.aspx

9. 36thID

36thID Member

Ham N' Beans in a slow cooker. One of my favorites !

Soak a half bag of northern and a half bag of pinto beans overnight. Add trimmed ham, onion, 1 garlic clove and a can of chicken broth with 2 cups of water in a slow cooker in the morning. Go duck hunting till dark and feed your hunting buddies.

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I have added four recipes to this Recipes.com site over the years, under different names. The different user names were variations of my own, and my internet user name. I used BRNDIRT once, and both Clint and Clinton C. Wigen. All are me, myself and I.

The reason only four made the grade is because all the others I submitted to the site were either too similar to already existing recipes, or exactly the same. Only these four were “unique” enough to get by their censors and cooking experts.

Goto:

Easy Turkey Curry Recipe - Allrecipes.com

and:

Oven BBQ Ribs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

and:

Split Pea and Ham Soup II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

finally:

Venison Schnitzel Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Be sure to use the back strap for the schnitzel, not another cut.

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Cube a pound of fish, simmer in four cups of water along with minced onions & favorite seasonings; I use whatever is on hand. While that is cooking prepare about a half cup of Wild Rice (you'll end up with plenty of rice). I add another cup of diced potato's when I add the rice. Cook for another 15-20 minutes. Not really low labor but worth the few extra minutes. I made this up one day when the Wife and Daughter were out shopping. When they came home they both asked "What's that smell?" When I said Fish Soup the Daughter ran to her room, she was in her ('I don't eat anything with eyes phase') and my wife said - sounds terrible but it does smell good. When I refilled my bowl for seconds she decided to try a bowl herself. There wasn't any left for 'left-overs' :)
    One of the best dishes I've had at the various establishments & 'Get-Togethers' up here in the North Land is Chicken & Wild Rice. Just throw cut up chicken into a crock pot with enough water to keep covered & a couple of chicken bullion cubes, Wild Rice, potato's, Celery, salt&pepper, onions and let it slow cook until you're hungry.

12. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think we have the beginnings of a WW2 Forum Cookbook. :D

13. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Yeah Tommy, There are more than a few threads where we've "OMG, like we're talking like cooking instead of WW2. LOL ! Totally! For Sure! Or in other words, I like to think we've simply gone off topic and spoken of Manly recipes!! Hey we could put the recipes in all the threads together and sell cookbooks at Gunshows and Military conventions and such :D But we need really good muscular sounding titles for our Cookies & Cakes.
    To Wit: SpamBam Thank Ya Mam's cookies;
    One can Spam, slice into 1/4 inch widths and sear in pan until golden brown. Add favorite topping such as Honey or Hersey's Chocolate.
    I'll go to my room now

14. OpanaPointer

Box of mac-n-cheese, can of spam, two meals.

15. OpanaPointer

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Y'all boys been married too long or forgot what it's like to eat bachelor style.

A package of Ramen noodles, chicken flavored, boiled with a can of chicken broth along with a can of Lite Spam, diced and added after coming to a boil. Season to taste. I had a two week old boiled egg that was in the fridge, so I chopped it up and threw it in as well. Season to taste. Ummmmm goooood. Chop stix optional. Slurp the broth right out of the bowl when the noodles are all gone.

Then there's the old go to, PB & J on toast. Can't go wrong there. One day I ran out of bread and dug around and found some whole wheat waffles in the freezer. Ran them through the toaster then applied PB & J. Dang good, and quite filling as well.

Of course, since we're talking bachelor chow here, there's cereal and milk eaten out of a bunt cake bowl with an ice cream scoop because that's all that's left to eat and all bowls are outside soaking in rain water and the utensils are in the sink, dirty to the point of Health Department condemnation filthy. Beer optional in case there is no milk or it has just a smidge of "ewwwww" when giving it the sniff test. Now that's bachelor eating 1st class.

I'm digging around for my corn soup (maque choux) recipe. That is a crowd (of bachelors) pleaser as well. It's easy to prepare, and has about a 4 beer cook time-frame. Maybe 5 if you don't brown the meat first.

17. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

-A bottle of Tequila. Sipped from a canteen cup. At least half a bottle.
    -A bonfire
    -My cousin John Pat's Jambalaya recipe cooking in a big pot over an open burner, stir occasionally.
    -Some Jack Daniels from a flask, repeat frequently.
    -A stereo blaring Skynard, Allman Brothers, Zepplin, Alice n Chains, until wife warns you the neighbors are probably calling the police. Ignore her.
    -A friend with a bottle of Jim Beam that he insists on sharing with you.
    -Change IPod on stereo to Hank Jr. and David Allen Coe playlist. Wife warns you again. Ignore.
    -Start singing along with the stereo. Dogs join in. Wife warns you again.
    -Pay too much attention to some of the young ladies in attendance. Repeat.

Came real close to making me a bachelor again a couple weeks ago, after nearly 29 years, so it must be a pretty good recipe.

formerjughead likes this.
  18. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Poppy.......yeah it deteriorated from glutin free to glutten friendly......and spammers/batchelors are now planning a recipe book? I am now declaring my property spam free.....if I have to eat out of a can pretty much I will choose corned beef hash or hash and taters....even sardines but spam will only be accessed after the nuclear holocaust. The way to do spam is browned and raw onion with lime juice poured over as a snack one can per 20 people. That way I won't be responsible for eating very much and it may taste like something else. And no one even tried the green chicken which is really very tasty....... Why isn't our site protected from spam if we have anti-virus software? Even the word in food form should be unusable on the forum.

Now that jambalaya with rice....I will eat that too with the Texas long grain rice especially......gumbo too! Crawfish too! Use a little shrimp if the flavoring is weak too! Now I am hungry again....keep away from the spam. Spam may come from feral pigs on Guam that no one will even taste there.....I am surmising that based on taste bud analysis integrated with the stories servicemen tell me about trying to eat the feral beasts they regularly shoot on the island.

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Just for fun, our members should open up this link to see just how many “canned meats” have been available over the years, and how many have gone by the wayside. SPAM is one of the survivors, not because it is “cheapest”, or not tasty but because people keep buying it. I personally sort of like it occasionally, but like the fighting men of WW2 I could easily tire of it if it was over used, or the only meat protein I ever got to lay a lip over.

Another thing that many forget, The original SPAM of Hormel wasn’t the only canned ham-like product in WW2, in fact the American rations almost never included real SPAM but the less expensive competitors from Wilson’s, Armour, Swift, and Morrell. They never made it in the civilian market, or at least not for long. Who remembers Armour’s TREET? Or Wilson’s MOR? If I can post a photo of an old ad for Wilson's products (I'll try) you will notice a product called B-V, it was an extract of Beef and Vegetables that my Grandmother really liked to add to her stews.

My own Mom, who was no slouch in the kitchen also used a Wilson product called (believe it or not) BIF, it was a chopped and compacted beef with less fat than most ground beef, and made great quick sandwiches on the farm when you just didn't have time to shape patties, and fry them up.

Goto:

TABLE VIEW

[​IMG]

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thank youse for all the input... Some excellent ideas I will try. Looking for GF, but the accompanying stories with the recipes are well worth the stray....I use a plug in timer on cp just in case I don't make it home...
    USMCP- I have made that meal. Now 98% divorced. Will not make that recipe again. lol
    Richard Harris : MacArthur Park Lyrics | musicelyrics ...like the tequila idea though.