Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bachelor Recipes

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Gordon , I will get it out this evening and will mail you the the file that gives it taste. PM me your mailing address. I just got a package from just north of
    Inverness, an Ola Gorie silver necklace for my wife. Love looking for Scottish silver pieces.

KB, I knew you would chime in with some good stuff. Your description of Gumbo is spot on thought there are a thousand variations, all good.

Gaines

2. gtblackwell

Gumbo is not a single thing but usually varies from county to county and from what is available. I ate a bowl in Mamoo, Louisiana that had armadillo in it, shelled of course !

This a guideline of the one I liked best and at 74 that means a lot. Start with two chicken breast, sprinkled with flour. paprika and a little black pepper in a skillet. When done pull the meat apart or dice. Sauté a minced onion in bacon fat or nowadays olive oil. Crush two cloves of garlic Add a pinch or two of thyme, basil and cayenne + parsley flakes. Add gumbo filet **, a small can of V-8 juice (tomato paste will do) a cup of water, two cups chopped okra ( a must) 2 bullion cubes, and a teaspoon or more soy sauce. Cook slowly about 3 hours .

While cooking add in seafood, I like shrimp, crawfish if available, In the South Yellow catfish fillets but cod would do nicely. Some folks like oysters and scallops in lieu of some of the foregoing. All that is personal. The big difference is many people add andouille sausage. Not to my liking but they swear by it...or other sausages. My old ticker says no to that and bacon fat ! Yes some swamp folks ( good people ) do add opossum (possum) or armadillo but that is beyond me....I did eat the armadillo one.

When all cooked into a thick thick soup pour over rice and eat with French bread, if only there was some in Alabama. Actually getting better.

** Now a gumbo file is hard to find outside of the US but I have mailed a package or two to friends from Holland to Cyprus. Gives it great flavors .
    Gordon , PM me your mailing address and it is on the way and that goes for any forum member in any country at no cost. I am assuming the Royal Mail still goes to Scotland :)

Skipper, all this maybe unlawful in France !!!!

Gaines

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Wild rice/white rice/ long grain/ minute/brown? ...How about beans?

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think red beans would be the Cajun bean of choice.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

No beans in gumbo. You can put some, but you can also put beans on a PB&J sandwich too if you really want to. Beans are mostly served in red beans and rice or white bean recipes, smothered down with sausage, andouille or pork chops. Boiled eggs can be used if you are short of meat in gumbo. That's what the po folks did back in the old days my mom told me. Two eggs per person at the table, one sliced up and one cut in half. And gumbo file` is in every supermarket in Louisiana. All it is is ground sassafras leaves and is used for thickener. I never use it because my gumbo is thick enough without it. But if you stretch your gumbo out in case more people come over to eat, add chicken broth and some file` if you have to.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The devil is in the details. ..Not nitpicky but- are the eggs cracked and boiled in the gumbo or hardboiled in water, cut up/added when dishing it out? ...
    Never had/heard of andoille. http://www.gumbopages.com/food/andouille.html

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

When I lived in Nawlins, boudin (sp?) sausage was the thing to look for. We used to drive all the way out to Chalmette to get the best Po' Boy sandwich on the planet. White boudin on a crispy french roll with various peppers and carmelized onions. I can still taste it. If you knew people in the country you could get black boudin which for some inexplicable reason was illegal to sell - it's blood sausage, but there's nothing harmful in hog or beef blood is there?

Soft shell crabs, crawfish, gumbo, etouffe, jambalaya...

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Blood boudin and sausage is still sold in small mom & pop stores in south Louisiana, and out of the back of pick-up truck vendors on the side of the road, but the market for such items is going the way of the Cajun French language - out. Just the old folks or the ones still on the farm make and consume it that way. For most of the younger and city folks, it's just too ewwwwwwww. Obtaining blood boudin/sausage is about like trying to find moonshine in the hills. You have to know where to go to get it. Fried boudin balls are excellent. Boudin is excellent. High in carbs and cholesterol, but who cares.

When eggs are used in gumbo, they are hard boiled and then added to the mix as I described above, two per person at the table, one egg sliced up and one cut in half. Put them in the pot when the gumbo is simmering. The egg really soaks up the flavor. I use them in spaghetti sauce as well.

There are many eateries that claim to have the best poboys in New Orleans, and it all comes down to personal preference since they all say theirs is the best. Many neighborhood bar & grills have their own way to do it. I'm partial the the Parkway Bakery & Tavern in mid-city, in particular the Surf and Turf (roast beast and fried shrimp, dressed all the way and smothered with debris and gravy, with fries covered with debris and gravy. With gravy.

KB, sounds like you need to pass through New Orleans on the way to the desert to get some good groceries into your system. Been gone too long. When did you live there?

Poppy, that Gumbo Pages website you referenced is perhaps the best source of Cajun recipes and background stories I've come across. Keep it handy. Master the gumbo and we'll make you an "Honorary Coon Ass" (that's not a bad word, definitely not PC, but not bad). Try the grits and grillades (gree-yods) recipe. You won't be sorry.

And andouille is pronounced "ahn-douey".

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

1980/81? My favorite hangout was a joint in East New Orleans near my apartment called "Whitey's" where they had great chilled crawfish and Dixie beer. They gave you the crawfish in a big plastic bag and you just threw the shells on a platter in the middle of the table. It was dirt cheap - maybe a buck or a buck and half for a big bag - 2 pounds? Baseball or football games on the TV during the day, then zydeco music at night, pool tables in the back and pretty girls hoping somebody will ask them to dance. A sailor's paradise. We'd run all the way to Chalmette for Po' Boys and a joint in Metairie for fancier fare like blackened fish or etouffe. You can graze your way from one side of New Orleans to the other and not find a bad restaurant, but you get your favorites and stick with them.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You'd cry now if you went back to New Orleans East. It went through "transition" and is now one of the highest crime infested areas in New Orleans. I can assure you that there is no joint called "Whitey's" in that area any longer. The only place that fit your description was "Whitey's Seafood & Billiard Center on Downman Road". It was between the I-10 and the lake. I googled it and learned of it's demise in a Times-Picayune internet article about local watering holes that were no more. Definitely a full-on combat zone there now. Most of that area was inundated with flood water from Katrina for weeks. The water there was 4-5 feet deep. Much of the area looks just like it did when the water finally receded. A dump.

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's it. I lived just east off Read Blvd. The canal in the back would flood the apartment parking lot and it wasn't unusual to dodge gators or water moccasins getting to your car. It wasn't a great neighborhood even then. I'd answer the door with a pistol behind my back.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The old post office on Downman is one of the better strip joints off-Bourbon if you can believe it. I take it you were in the navy. At the Naval Support Activity in Algiers?

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

No, Coast Guard. The apartment complex I lived in had a bunch of units held for navy and CG personnel. It was a pretty wild place and we made the most of it.

14. gtblackwell

Poppy, You are saved !!

Burger King has just bought Tim Horton's for $11,000,000,000 ( billions) according to "our" news. BK is moving it's headquarters to Canada to avoid our taxes so expect lots of fast bachelor food soon at the BK near you.

Is not America great !! Feeding the world. Exporting love and goodness.

Gaines

A-58 likes this.
  15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I guess they'll start serving doughnuts too.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Pffft, lol. What a coincidence. 58 has powers.

More disturbed that they will only be paying 26% tax Vs formerly 40%...did I read it right? Because heard average Joe here pays 42%. That's not ok.
    Also, not sure Tims was a true Canadian company any longer anyhoo.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Tim Horton's not Canadian eh?

18. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

[​IMG]

Poppy likes this.
  19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Ahhh, the double double. Wonder if that phrase is used everywhere, or only in Canada eh...If you were to walk up to any random Canadian and simply said: "double double", pretty sure the average response would be: " What the heck do I look like? A damn Tim Hortons?".
    Also wonder if BK is cashing in on the "double double" rage.
    Maybe they don't know McDonalds here now offers the same quality coffee for less. And, you buy 7, get 1 free. It adds up.

Also wonder if BK is interested in Tim's FW employee base. Heard the US will soon allow ?800 000 new immigrant workers?. And the Canadian gov is reacting to a backlash about foreign workers taking Canadian jobs, reducing FW's. So , maybe the plan is to transfer already trained FW's from Canada to US. Saves a lot of time and money.

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What's a FW?