Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bachelor Recipes

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Here's a neat recipe.

One of the local recipes here is the Aleut taco. Around my house when the kids were growing up we always had an excess of pink salmon because I was congenitally unable to throw a fish back once I caught it. The kids were sick and tired of fish and always ready to revolt if fish was shoved in front of them - not that kids aren't revolting enough without fish Other than threats and intimidation the only way to make them eat all that fish I stuffed the freezer with, was to trick them with new recipes.

Pink salmon are the least desirable salmon because the meat is more like trout. It's flaky and doesn't broil well as a 'steak' like the other Pacific salmon. I (and when I say "I" I'm referring to the ex-wife) would "bake and flake" much of that pink salmon and store the meat in bags. You could use canned salmon or tuna or any fish that is pre-cooked and flaked off the bones.

Basically, you just prepare bread - flour, water, yeast - and then roll it out thin like you're making a pizza and then stamp or cut out little six inch circles.

Take the fish meat and mix it with any of those powdered taco seasonings that come in little foil pouches. You could get fancy and chop onions, cilantro or whatever in there, but it's pretty damned good with just the seasonings.

Fill the little bread circles with seasoned fish and seal them up like little calzones, wet the edges and seal, then fry them. I suppose you could bake them just as easily if you're health conscious.

Anyway, good stuff!

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

FW= foreign workers. Tim's seemed to get the ball rolling here regarding employing mass amounts of FW's. Now the gov is backtracking, and reversing the trend of bringing in workers. So there will be a glut of trained workers, fairly fluent, looking for work. Brilliant BK.

3. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Bachelor food is renowned for being unhealthy and Scotland certainly lives up to that label. A typical day's menu.
    Breakfast A bottle of Irn Bru (our national drink, sugary, fizzy and orangey)Good for hangovers. A bread roll stuffed with sliced sausage, back bacon, egg, optional black (blood) pudding and potato scone.
    Lunch Deep fried pizza in batter and bottle of Irn Bru
    Dinner Haggis Pakora (Indian fritters) and an Indian curry either with fries, rice or naan bread or all three. Several pints of lager
    Supper Turkish kebab in pitta but throw away the salad garnish as that is healthy. More lager
    Snacks Hot mutton or macaroni pie, fries, sausage roll, steak bake
    Ketchup and fries supply the vegetables for the day

All these meals are interchangeable and are eaten at anytime day or night.

A-58 likes this.
  4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Deep fried pizza... Your stomach will revolt sooner or later. The Irn will eventually burn, the sausauge will block passage, bacon will have you achin'.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Y'all got Mexicans up there too?

6. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Mostly Phillipino's & Ozzies...

A-58 likes this.
  7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Ah yes. I went skiing in Banff and the place was overrun with Kangaroo types. One Aussie liftie asked me where I was from when he heard my accent. I told him that I was from Louisiana, and he said that I was a long way from home. It was only about 1/15th the distance from the closest point in Australia, but I was drinking that full strength Canadian beer and having a good time so I didn't point that out to him.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Tim's and McD's seem to prefer Filipino's to the others. Not sure why. The Filipino's are very friendly, seem to learn quicker, and work harder/smarter. It is very apparent the Filipino's are the preferred workers here. Would like to see some numbers on the amount of F's compared to others employed in Canada.

Is it possible life in the Philipinnes is worse than in the other countries Canada draws from - peeps just don't want to go back- so perform better? Philipinnes just birthed its' 100 millionth person in July.

Kinda going off topic.

My bebot just made some maja blanca. Very simple but tastey. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maja-blanca-coconut-pudding/
    Guess its' not a bachelor recipe.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The other vital ingredient in the bachelors diet is ketchup.

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Condiments? Sriracha. If you haven't discovered Sriracha and replaced ketchup and soy sauce and tabasco, then you are a sad excuse for a bachelor.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thought you people say catsup...That is so hillbilly. "Axed him for catsup." lol. i kid.

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It's smelly because it's heavy on the garlic. It's not like some of them fish oil sauces from SE Asia. Sriracha is delicious...

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Gotta say, discovering the joys of fish sauce. Just a dab'll do ya...used to be afraid of new foods/tastes. But all growed up now and enjoying it.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Time to dust this thread off and bring it back to the forefront and former glory. Came across a sure fired bachelor recipe that is good enough for the girlfriend too.

Potato and Leek Soup

One big Yukon gold potato, about a pound or so. Several littler ones will do as well.

Two leeks

The Cajun Holy Trinity (diced up celery, green bell pepper and onion, sometimes referred to as spice mix, a must for every Cajun recipe)

Two or three garlic cloves, mashed. Two tblsp of chopped garlic from the jar will do too.

One can of chicken broth

Start by slicing and cubing the potato and zapping them in the microwave for 8-10 minutes or so, or soft enough to run a butter knife through. Then prep the leeks by cutting off the bottom with all the roots on it, then chop up in 1/2 inch sections all the way up to where the green part of the leek gets real green. Make sure to wash the leeks real good because dirt gets in between the layers. While that is going on, grease down the pot with butter or olive oil, heat then add the Holy Trinity and garlic. Cook these ingredients down, then add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes. Let them go for 10-15 minutes or so, then add the leeks. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or so, season to taste and chow down. If you think you need more to your soup, while it is simmering, add water from the empty chicken broth can to get all of the flavor from the can. No need wasting it.

Easy easy. Poppy can even make it.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

This sunny prairie boy takes offense to any other version of the (tramp) holy trinity. ..if you disagree with peppers, celery, onion (in that order), and you choose to sit while chopping vegetables to the North...
    Also, there is a rift regarding garlic. Couldn't be called a trinity if garlic is included. Quatrinity just doesn't have the same cache.

A-58 likes this.
  19. lwd

lwd Ace

I find "marinating vodka" a useful additon to a lot of dishes. Best way to make "marinating vodka" is grow a decent crop of peppers (should include habanero's and other peppers to taste) and other such spices as you consider of merit (I'm a big fan of garlic). Purchase of the same is an acceptable alternative. Buy a large bottle of vodka. Remove about 1/3 of the contents and replace with peppers and spices. Let sit a few months. Apply to dishes to suit your taste. It works especially well in marrinades as the alchohol helps the flavors penetrate into the meat. Beware the vodka is no longer drinkable straight by 99.9% of the population.

20. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

One pound lean hamburger.
    One jar of salsa, octane as you prefer.

Brown burger.
    Add salsa.
    Simmer five minutes.
    Put on/in stuff. Tacos, nachos, whatever.