Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Back from Nijmegen

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Andreas Seidel, Jul 21, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Jaysus!!!!, how old were you at the time? I think I was about 15 when I did my insane hike. Luckily--I had no blisters--just sore legs and I sweated a river of water.

2. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

I did the Cambrian in Oct 95, so i was just short of 26. But being a GRUNT, carrying heavy weight is part of the job, whatever your age. When i was in the MILAN platoon, i was looking at lumping 100ibs plus with the carring the firing post and all my kit.

Think i'll stick to driving now though. Let the youngsters do all the tabbing :D

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I definately have to agree with you there as well Herr Peiper--er Bish :D

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

It's a small world ! Until Andreas posted this, I'd never heard of the 'Nijmegen' march.
    Working on an aircraft restoration yesterday, the guy next to me said his son's joining the RAF, and 'He'd just done 'Nijmegen''.

'Oh, I know all about that.....' :D

5. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Andreas-What do you mean by "illegal" medals???

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ryan--he is probably talking about medals such as the one he got for his Nijmegan march. These arent official country awards--like the Iron Cross was in Imperial times and ww2. We have those as well but arent allowed to be worn on the uniform with regualr awarded military medals. I think a person can wear them on their dress uniform if they wish--ill have to ask Sgt Vahaly about that. He had some Korean and other unofficial awards that he wore the day they were presented to him--but even that was frowned upon.

Andreas--in your case--please let me know if I am wrong.