Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

bargain books

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by wtid45, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Hope this gets a good response.having found a mint copy for 50p:) at a car boot sale of a book titled To be a chindit by phil sharpe signed by the author.it occured to me what has been your best buy at a car boot or charity shop or equivilent where you are. You know the feeling you pick it up, buy it as calmly as possible:eek: and trying not to run home! leave with that satisfied feeling of a bargain of that prize book.

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

After the Battle - 'Blitzkrieg in the west' - £6 - charity shop.
    Danny morris - Aces & Wingmen - £3.50 - Charity shop.
    Jentz - Panzertruppen Vol. 1 - £6 on eBay.

Nothing beats the warm and cosy feeling of finding a real bargain book does it.
    Got a feeling I'll never beat the Blitkrieg one, I almost panicked on realising I only had a fiver cash, but the nice lady let me go to a cashpoint (dragging a very confused & rather alarmed 6 year old behind me at top speed).
    Trouble is; finds like that tend to mean revisiting the shop regularly for weeks/months with expectations that are most always dashed.

Cheers,
    Adam

3. bigfun

bigfun Ace

The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan, 1st edition, 1965. i don't know if it's worth a lot of money, but I only paid $5.00 for it, so it was a good deal to me!:D

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

We have a new/used bookstore here in Portland that is 3 stories tall and covers a whole city block called Powell's. And they are online too.I get quite a few of my used and bargain priced books there. There is also a great bargan book comapany I found that sells thru mail order and online. Too bad they don't take overseas orders :(. I think that some of the foreign posters here would like it.

5. uksubs

uksubs Member

Aces & wingmen was a great find Adam , my copy signed :D

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:confused:
    But... aren't you one of the foreign posters here?? :D

Cheers,
    Adam.

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Well to some ...yes LOL :p

8. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

im not foreign im welsh:D and to add to my earlier post china burma india don moser time life books £6 online but priceless. There is a picture of my Dad on page 165 sat in front of a huge gold buddha with his mates pagoda hill road to mandalay march 1945.

9. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Just the reply i was after adam, thanks i bet you could not get to the cashpoint fast enough! i was hoping for more of a response though.so let me add the tenth by r brammall £10 on ebay having been told that i would be luckyto get a copy anywhere for under £50:D

10. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

im dumb:eek: my last post should have been in reply to adams post that uk subs replied to

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I stil lremember buying a nice copy of Jim Gavin's 'On To Berlin' in a remote countryside bookship for £8. It was only after I'd paid that I realised the flyleaf was inscribed and signed....by Jim Gavin :cool:

And the mint copy of Forsyth's 'JV44' found in the Charing Cross Road for £24 still gives me a nice fuzzy feeling.....:)

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Winstons 6 volumes, not a page turned, original year of release, got em for a pound in a community centre book sale. 20p per hardback, leave money in dish. OK. even I couldnt do that, so looked for caretaker and gave a fiver.

13. Martin Bull

That's a nice find. 20+ years ago, Churchill's history was easy to find. These days, good sets are surprisingly elusive.....

14. Mats

Mats Member

Dear Martin!

Re JV44

Don´t say that you bought it at "Marks & Co., 84. Charring Cross Road" ??

I was there many years ago but couldn´t find it. I think it had closed. But the book written by Helene Hanff is still here! Only a few years since I read it for the 5th (?) time.

Best regards
    Mats

15. Martin Bull

Afraid not, Mats ! 84 Charing Cross Road is now a theatre ticket agency - there is a plaque on the wall celebrating the book/film. My 'JV44' came from Francis Edwards, further down the road.....

16. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Thanks to martin von poop and the few others who replied to my post thought this would of gone better after all books are knowledge and i myself cant walk past that bookshop that cries to you come in that book you have always wanted is in here!

17. Martin Bull

Just remembered another one - 'The Story Of 79th Armoured Division' ( privately published at the end of the War ) - mint condition and found a few years back in a secondhand bookshop in Greenwich for.....£4 ! :cool:

18. TA152

TA152 Ace

I agree with VP on the warm and glowing feeling you get when you get a bargin.

I got a 1992-93 copy of Janes All the Worlds Aircraft for $20 in 1995. The public library wanted more room on it's shelves for more popular books and was selling off the ones that did not get checked out much. I was stunned but I did have the $20.

I think a 2008 copy is in the $600 per copy price range !

At the time home build aircraft made up about 45% of the book but I am sure by now 99% of them are out of business.

19. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I got "Remember Arnhem" by Fairey for EUR 10 from a bookstore in Amsterdam...Signed....

I do get some bargains from Ebay once in awhile and scouring the different online booksites (Alibris, bookfinder, antiqbook, etc.) I also managed to pry away some books that usually sell for a lot more from booksellers who don't quite know what gems they have...

20. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

ouch:( i got a signed hardback copy for £35 on ebay cant all be bargains i suppose! note to self must not get to carried away with e bay maddness:D