Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Berlin question.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by FramerT, Dec 12, 2006.

1. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Everything I've read and watched on TV about the final weeks/days of fighting, no mention was given to how and/or if Allied airpower was "altered".
    When the Russians were fighting,did the allies bomb other regions?Etc.?

Know any books or info on this?
    TIA.

2. Rhyd

Rhyd Member

Not sure, always been of the opinion the Russians levelled most of the city with artillery, including their massive 203mm Howitzers..

Clearly airpower will have been used, but perhaps not playing any massive importance during the campaign.

EDIT: Quick searck on Wiki reveals a bit more info on the Battle of Berlin (air) if you want further details..

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Western Allied air activity was 'switched off' in order to avoid friendly fire. Not only aerial bombing is somewhat indiscriminate, considering moreover the absolute lack of ground to air coordination, but also Soviet AA gunners were quite happy to shoot magnanimous quantities of hot lead at unfamiliar aerial silhouettes.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Bomber Command bombed Berlin on April 11th/12th. Three Mosquitos were lost.
    Berlin was attacked again on April 17th/18th. This is the last date I find (one mossie lost). After this date, the attacks were orientated towards areas away from the battlefield (harder and harder to find) such as Heligoland, Kiel , Bremen, Wanerooge and Berchtesgaden. I don't know about the USAAF.