Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Britain war thunder YouTube

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Prospero Quevedo, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Found a Battle of Britain war thunder movie I was pretty good they kinda followed the BOB movie and used the theme music the cgi is pretty good i liked where they had more than just the he 111s as one of the things the critics noted about the movie was it only portrayed the stukas and the heinkel when there were a lot of other aircraft like the me110 the ju 88 the do 17 I read even Italian aircraft were involved in at least one raid or more. Then a lot of other British aircraft were involved they may not have been dogfighters but they could attack the slower bombers. There's always people saying that the hurrican must have been the better fighter as it had a lot more kills, but as a BOB pilot said the hurricanes job was to take out the bombers the spitfires job was to take out the fighters and protect the hurricanes. Said how his squadron switched from hurricane to spits and there was just no comparison the spits were faster and really great to fly. The hurricane had longer range and could carry a lot more ordinance I want to use a could of my mark twos to make a tank buster where the mounted those 40 mm anti tank guns on them and made them tank busters. They may not have been the best fighter but they were great ground attack aircraft till the typhoon took over that position. Still it's something seeing that plane with those guns. Another reason for so many more kills was the hurricane was in much larger numbers than the spit before the war the RAF had built up their air arm mostly on the hurrican as a spit cost twice what a hurricane cost and Hurricanes were easier to build since the early model was mostly fabric skinned compared to the spit that was all metal. As such supposedly at the start of the Battle of Britain the RAF had a little over 500 spits and about a thousand Hurricanes and factories going full bore building new planes everyday they wanted more spits but didn't want to lose the numbers rolling off as the hurricane may not have been the best but in large numbers they could overwhelm enemy fighters plus over Britian they had the advantage longer flight duration they could outlast the German fighters and wait for them to make a break for home or run them out of gas. I wonder how many German fighters ditched in the channel running short of fuel. One of the things hawker did to try and improve the hurricane was put the newer more powerful griffon engine and a powerful radial engine both ended with a unsatisfactory prototype the added power didn't increase the performance enough so hawker used what they learned and built newer aircraft much improved designs they still couldn't better the spit but they built new planes that were almost as good. Like the spit did so well and all the different marks all the way up to the mark 24 I think the bubble top spits were the sleekest looking planes the British had with the five blade prop. A huge step up from the old two props then the three then four and then a five didn't they try one of those three prop counter rotating engines on the spit I saw pics were it looked like a mustang with one of those engine types. The US and UK dropped those engines as too complicated and expensive to more reliable cheaper engines but the soviets kept pouring money into developement and came out with a number of aircraft with those engines I really think they did it as a hey look what we can do haha. Anyway check out YouTube for war thunders BOB.

2. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

Dennis Alexander Kalnoky Member

Thank you for the tip!

I am working my way through the Battle of Britain on The History of WWII Podcast. There are about 15 episodes devoted to the Battle of Britain, roughly 14-15 hours of material. I've had to listen to each episode twice as the material is very dense.

The Battle of Britain is an aviation buff's dream come true.. There were dozens of different types of aircraft employed on both sides. Not just fighters and level bombers, but minelayers, reconnaissance, special ops, maritime patrol, and others. The German High Command was primarily land-based in its thinking. As such the Luftwaffe was a tactical air force and did never develop an adequate strategic capability. Even so, the Luftwaffe was winning the war of attrition over Britain until the focus switched to terror bombing of cities - a catastrophic miscalculation which gave the RAF time to recover.

I am looking to add a Spitfire and Hurricane to my small 1/72 diecast collection this year. I would also like to find a Do-17.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    CAC likes this.
  3. Prospero Quevedo

They have a bunch of prebuilt kits these days from Japan and China. Should check those out as well for 1/72 my buddy has been collecting some of them as he's into 1/72 scale kit collecting.
    I think the cgi is really getting great these days I thought the cgi animation looked really good and the different aircraft looked great the German looking correct not the hispanos lol, if I wasn't into aircraft I would never have noticed but it did confuse me as I said to a friend that they looked close but something didn't look right it read the IMDB profile and it said how they searched for planes all over and rented several planes in the UK the spits and Hurricanes and rented and bought a bunch of hispanos from Spain. They donated some to museums one of the fighters was donated to a German museum that remodeled it to a true German type replacing the radiator and housing. Lol, I've heard they have group games on some of the online war gaming sites to recreate the BOB. Next time I'm on hobbysearch or hlj I'll look out for any die cast that your looking for. I hope mark one keeps up with the Italian stuff in 1/144 they did a fiat G50 hope they do something like the G55 or MC205v. I want to get some of there R5 helicopters as there's a number of navy and army configurations like wenches landing gear a few different layouts and the air ambulance I'm surprised they don't do one as that's what made the helicopter famous was its use for air lifting wounded during Korea. I wrote to mark one asking they do a boxing for one that or I'll just have to figure out how to build the stretcher pods and cradles. I also agree the Germans were starting to beat down the British till they switched to terror bombing the constant attacks were not only destroying planes on the ground but the ability for the RAF to repair aircraft as the Germans kept destroying workshops and parts storage. The RAF was near collapse but the RAF considered it a blessing that the bombers were no longer after them and yes they were able to rebuild faster and it was a real blunder I always thought it was stupid that the Germans didn't concentrate on the industry that would have really crippled the UK and made them even more dependant on supplies from the USA. I'm still looking for a good 144 mosquito fighter version with the four 303s and 4 20s.mthey have like four to six bomber versions with the glass nose. For the move 633 squadron that was the most they could find and glazed the nose with some kind of filler to make it smooth and then painted it over and gluded the make guns on them looked good for the ground and air shots for the movie the static props were old planes they salvaged from wrecking yards and fixed up for the movie the crash scene with the burning mosquito was one of the salvaged planes they set on fire for the movie the scene was actual shot from different angles to be used in the crash landing scene and the mountain crash. In all the movie wasn't bad too bad they didn't think about using those hispanos in that movie but those French me108 copies. Funny how many countries built copies of German aircraft but again the French making bad choices as the 108 was not as good as the 109 which Spain and Czech were making copies.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Don't forget 35 Australians fought in the air war of the Battle of Britain...And 9 Americans (As American civilians - There were the Eagle Squadrons, but after the BoB).
    I'm surprised you haven't already gotten your mits on at least a spitfire by now...I have/had about 50 model aircraft...the Spit, Hurricane and Do-17 are amongst them...

5. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

..And Poles and Czechs as well!

I just started collecting 1/72 aircraft, so I only have 3 (B-24H, Halifax Mk III, P-51B, with a Short Stirling on order for September). Previously I had been collecting 1/72 armor. I filled up a small case w/ vehicles and figures. Model armor is much smaller and less expensive than model aircraft. So I'm still thinking of ways to narrow the scope of my planned aircraft collection, keeping in mind cost and space.

6. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah that was one of the things at the end of the movie was how many pilots from like all over that fought like just about from everywhere. Pilots from countries that were over run by the Germans pilots who managed to escape and make their way to England, and yes all the volunteers from the American continent. I'm amazed how many polish and Czech were there between the two it was over two hundred pilots that was a big help. Pilots from just about ever commonwealth and Africa as well and like small countries all over. I'm actually surprised how few French were there. Only 13 like I guess most French pilots didn't make it out of France. They even had one Austrian. That was interesting. I know not all Austrians welcomed the nazis but most did openly welcome them in if I read correctly the military did even try to oppose the German forces that entered the country. They pretty much just rolled over, but Austria was part of Germany till after wwi isn't that correct so most viewed it as a reunification. Like the Von trap family they didn't support it and fled the country it the movie was even close they wanted to use them in their propaganda efforts and so they fled not wanting to be used. Anyway I'm still amazed that so few French pilots made it to England but several thousand French soldiers made to to England to fight with the allies. Though many allied commands didn't think much of French troops especially other allied soldiers. Many felt they were basically losers and didn't trust them. My nephew by marriage one of my favorite nephews was calling him my nephew long before he married my niece as I felt certain they'd be a couple like he was usually at all our family gatherings for years. Anyway one of his grandfathers was in the infantry and would tell him about his days in the war and would tell him how they didn't like the French. I kinda feel sorry for the French soldiers many fought hard and died. The main fault was the French government and the French command even de Gaulle was a dolt the way they set up defenses they were just too outdated trying to use wwi tactics in a modern war. Then they had that one officer who not only held his sector but was pushing back and those idiot old farts relieve him of command because he was embrassing them they were ordering retreats and he was an upstart for holding and advancing what a bunch of worthless trash they should done like the revolution and hung those huts and replaced them with real soldiers. Anyway my nephew said from his grandfather most allied troops had little respect for the French soldiers. Like I know they did poorly but not always due to poor training and leadership but they just didn't have the best equiptment. The French had decent tanks but let themselves get technologically behind that battalion of light tanks cut off the Germans and engaged but that stupid 37 howitzer was useless. Like what the heck making such a stupid ass gun the he round had hardly any blast effect against troops unless you had them in concentrated numbers and close. Too bad they didn't make those tanks just a tad larger and with the 47 gun they would had minced the Germans as it was of over 30 tanks that engaged only ten managed to survive and escape. However not all actions ended in complete disaster one char b managed to destroy 16 enemy before it was over run and destroyed. So they can say the French didn't fight hard they had very poor training and tactics and their equiptment was a bit out of date. Like the Germans used mostly chassis to build spgs. They used some French tanks as reserves but they didn't consider them to be modern enough for front line use. Most of the problems stemmed from the depression that effected the whole world economy not just the US countries had cut military budgets to an all time low in all countries. Hitler was able to get a jump on everyone by robbing the Jews. Many business all thru Europe many of the most successful and wealthiest were the Jewish and he confiscated all Jewish assets to fund many of his projects in countries all over Europe. Many countries looking for funds look the other way and took the money but they were helping him start building the very army that would over run them he even had companies working on ways to convert commercial vehicles and aircraft to military use. Some other countries manufactured bolt on kits to convert a variety of things. The French had things in the works but things were going slow one lack of money two like the French always having civil unrest they stupid workers were striking wanting more pay the dolts they should been grateful to have a job as hundreds of thousands around the world couldn't find work of any kind and these guys wanted more money and stroked stopping the building of new war planes the latest the French had designed and other war equiptment. I really think they should have stayed with belt feed that stripper they showed on a machine gun program they had problems keeping up a sustained fire the clips didn't hold a lot of rounds and you shot thru it quickly and feeding in a new strip did go smoothly so you fire stopped till,you could get the next stripper going I think the feed ramp should have been longer as the strip fed past then you could fed a new one butted against the spent one and be already to continue to fire. The Japanese had the same problems having copied the French gun years before they were just starting to switch to German guns good thing they didn't get to the German mgs yet they had copied German rifles and pistols. Funny the Chinese bought German equipment before the war even German helmets in the movie flying tigers they show a supposed Japanese artillery firing on a Chinese village but the crew are wearing German helmets it was a news reel of a Chinese gun crew firing at the Japanese. I thought that was strange Japanese with German helmets saw that on a show about the making of the movie it also mentioned not one real flying aircraft was used in the movie they were all props or models. A lot of news reel footage was used.

7. Prospero Quevedo

There a line of die cast that's not too expensive at Walmart and then there those pre built kits look great but there getting hard to find I guess the companies that did them are not doing a lot of restock. There's also a few inexpensive die cast companies in Europe that do a few reall decent looking models saw a good looking do17 just over twenty. Saw the spit and hurricane under twenty. What state are you in there's collector shows here that many times you can find great deals. I got a bunch of planes in my collection that usuall go for 25/35 for five bucks. I was happy to get them. Got a bunch of planes I was looking for A26, corair f4u4, typhoon, black widow and many more.

8. Prospero Quevedo

Hey Dennis you should check out sabaton aces in exile on YouTube has a lot of great spitfire vs 109s clips might be good for your cast

9. Prospero Quevedo

I freaking hope we are not giving any type of aid to the Russians I know at one time we were still giving them humanitarian aid food medical supplies if so the Feds better cut everything, I'm so pissed that we helped them recover so much that they think they can bully everyone these days like the dang Chinese these days we should restrict diplomatic ties and start restricting Chinese students but Feds are so laced and ineffective they won't do anything till,after its too late. Like all these wars we get into they always say we stop short like there's all these weapons floating around and we don't round them up,and destroy them but they get circulated around till a bunch get them and start another war that we have to back and clean up. And I've written my congress people saying I'm pissed that we let the talaban get all,that equiptment I don't care if they think that stuff will be useless to,them in a year we shouldn't have let them have anything and all,that ammo and guns WTF that's American tax dollars and what now there going to ask for money to replace that??? Hell no what the hell are thrybsaying they had a successful withdraw and left all,that behind hundreds of hummvees and other vehicles and even some helicopters. Hell did we leave any brads and Abrams as well

10. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

US Foreign Policy has been at low ebb for some time now. The heavyweights are gone. This is amateur hour. And not just amateurs, but arrogant amateurs.

Prospero Quevedo likes this.
  11. Prospero Quevedo

Hey Dennis the airplane shop has a corgi spit and hurrican advertised for twenty each haven't seen much on a do17 but I'll keep an eye out for one

12. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

Thank you. I did end up getting a Hurricane Mk. I and a Bf-109E-4 from eBay and I have my eye on a Spitfire Mk II also. I might pull the trigger on the Spit this weekend. I lost an auction for a Blenheim bomber yesterday, but I will keep trying.

Studying the Battle of Britain as an adult has transformed me into an RAF fan. I like the Allies in the underdog role. Axis airpower took a precipitous drop in early 1944 (and maybe even sooner). The air war was far more equally matched early on. The ground war on the Eastern Front and in the Pacific remained savage until the end of hostilities.

13. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah I yeah the spit was certainly iconic. Still it's was a plane that almost wasn't, the military would not completely fund the prototype as money was scarce and was only able to give the designer a small grant. The guy believed in his plane and used his own money and got friends to invest in his prototype its fortunate for Britain he didn't give up and worked on his plane. Kind of the same for the t34 the designer was not discouraged by the armies refusal to develope his tank so the guy build the prototype on his own building BT tanks by day and working on his t34 prototype by night. Too bad he didn't think about heating and caught pneumonia and died. Like what other tanks could he have designed or gotten on the battlefield sooner.
    As for the spitfire I'm still surprised how many people still think the hurrican was better because it had more kills. However many pilots that flew both have said there was no comparison in the speed and flight characteristics of the two. Also look how many versions of the spits they had. I really liked the bubble top spits late in the war. I want to build an early mark 1 two prop and a later three prop just for fun as well as for my my 1 hurrican sweet models did a early hurrican with fabric wings and choice of two or three prop. They also did a tropical version I want to adapt the tropical scoop and radiator to make a tropical spitfire. F toys came out with a hurricane mark 2. Eduard has the most detailed 1/144 spits I think their mark 14 and 18. Good luck on your search. If you were local to Orange County they have two great collector shows here that I usually got great deals from. The Keller kit collector show and the Brewer brothers kit exposition. Found lots of great deals there way below retail.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I am surprised in a happy way there are still people buying kits and collecting them. In Finland there are none in shops and kids play computer games 24/7 or talk on the phone all day long. In some schools they don't let the kids use phones during lessons, the kids are ordered to give their phone to the teacher for the duration of the lesson...

15. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah it's sad that kids are so into electronic games etc. I'm hoping to get my grand nephews into model collecting. Starting them off on 72 and 144 scale. Gave them an old itailiari kit a soviet t62 with infantry and an old js3 tank lol maybe I should try to convert it into a t10

16. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

What very little kit building I see anymore has to do with R/C cars and drones. Our local hobby shop here in Salem closed last Fall.

For many years there was a great hobby shop in Portland (Bridgetown Hobbies). It was well stocked with kits and books. Modelers of all ages and stripes, from doctors to high school kids would gather to talk about tanks, ships, and airplanes. It was a real community, face to face. Everyone respected each other. The smart phone ruined all of this.

I switched to diecast many years ago, as I no longer have the time to build models. But I have fond memories.

Prospero Quevedo likes this.
  17. Prospero Quevedo

Takara and bandi came out with a series of preprinted 1/144 scale vehicles and aircraft they are really detailed and made with friction pin assembly . Some are semi assembled and some are totally in pieces but all preprinted the friction pins don't always fit tight and I've had to clamp and glue a few. I hope to rebuild a few to recast for other markings and to build other variants like my machi 202 rebuilding it to make more copies and modify into a 205. I added more vent details that were not included and detailing the cockpit a lot of new 1/144 has super detailed cockpits some kits with a full photo etch cockpit seat instrument and cockpit sides and floor. I'm also trying to rebuild some of my Sherman's for recasting like rebuilding the turret so the gun elevates and make som other variants so far I just have a m4a1 76 a m4a3 75 and a firefly. I want to try to build a m4a3e8 prestige has one but the hvss system on it looks very crudely done lacks a lot of detail so I'm trying to use parts from some of my aircraft to make the road wheels and the suspension. Then switch turrets around and make a m4a1 75, make a new barrel and make a m4a3 105, and more. I'm rebuilding my m18 I want to make the turret complete with turret basket and maybe even rework some figures as the turret crew. I've built a su152 using a KV 1. Also been rebuilding a bunch of my t34 I'm trying to make every model they have a 1941 and a 1942 and a 1945, the 1941 has errors trying to correct and add more details, a 1943 should be easy just have to take a command coupola from one kit and add to the 42, and a 44 should be easy as well. A 1940 should be easy to convert from the 41 model been working on a new mount and gun. Been working on my JS series too they have a great js2 sawed off the front of one and mating the front of a KV on it and reworking the gun to a 85 and converting a t10 into a JS 3. It's a lot of work and slow going but it's a lot of fun for now. Later I want to build my own m10, m36, and m26 and m46 from my Takara m47. Unfortunately Takara and bandi haven't done any more on their series in years now, f toys, platz, and a few others have done new kits. Lately just about every Japanese tank has come out even the limited production late medium and heavy tanks. I've gotten to where I'd like to get some as early on I didn't bother with them but lately some of the tanks have interested me especially the late war and the camouflage looks interesting. Want to get the type 89, type 97 and a ha go and that amphibious tank then the late war tanks that they never deployed they built some to have available for homeland defense as they expected the US to invade. They also had figured out the two best landing places that we had picked as well and we're building up defenses we would have met hundreds of dug in guns and their new tanks, just bunches of layered defenses they figured they would lose two million to take out one million. Good thing the war ended without the invasion. Also reworking my mirages into some of the different variants and copies like the Israelis copy and that South African variant. Got a bunch of kifir and f21s from DML they look really good and got them on sale back when they were new for like three bucks each, so have like ten or so.