Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of the Bulge U.S Signal Corps Original Colourslides

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Hecke, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Hecke

Hecke Active Member

Attached Files:

2. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Nice. Much better than that colorized crap.

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

I am familiar with many of those as black and white prints. What is the provenance for the color negatives? Are they Kodachromes? I know Ardean Miller led a Signal Corps team shooting Kodachrome stills and then the famous color film shot by George Stevens in Europe, but was unaware of these shots in color?

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Early Kodachrome 35 mm slides , actually a positive image, not negative, had very poor color retention, it tended to fad into the bluish-purple color you see above, some are a bit more reddish brown. Black and white prints can be made from them by making an inner negative with a copier. You put black & white film into a camera and take a picture of the positive slide in the copier. That produces a negative from which you can make black and white prints ! Digital is so so much easier ! At one time, about this WW2 era there was a reversal paper as well. You could project a positive imagine on it and get a positive print. Not as common .and B & W too.

My old university had thousands of fade Kodachrome slides like the ones above. Ironically Kodachrome was chosen for it's rich color interpretation but it was after the war that they learned to make it stable..

Gaines