Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of the Bulge Vet Info - 424th Inf Reg, 106th Inf Div

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by cgrieve, Feb 25, 2019.

1. cgrieve

cgrieve New Member

Hello all! I am so happy to find such an engaged and helpful group of people!
    I am investigating the experience that my Papa had during the Bulge, the job he did during the war, and what work he might have done/where when he continued his service in Europe after the war ended. Here's what I know about his service so far:

Name: Sterling Wilford Grieve
    Number: 36 162 053 Private First Class – Service Company 424th Infantry
    From: Michigan (Born in Detroit, Lived in Hazel Park and Livonia)

His Discharge Papers: (I’ll write verbatim, then add my questions in parentheses after)
    #6 Organization: Ser Co 424th INF
    #22 Date of Induction: 21 Nov 41
    #24 Date of Entry into Active Service: 21 Nov 41
    #25 Place of Entry into Service: Ft Custer Mich
    #30 Military Occupational Specialty and No.: Truck Driver Light 345 (Was he a driver during the bulge? What would he have driven?
    #31 Military Qualification and Date: Rifle Expert Carbine Expert * (What does the star asterisk * after "Carbine Expert mean? Also, if he was a driver, would he have also been a Carbine operator?)
    #32 Battle and Campaigns: GO 33 & 40 WD 45 NORTHERN FRANCE RHINELAND ARDENNES CENTRAL EUROPE
    #33 Decorations and Citations: Good Conduct Medal - American Defense Service Medal - American Campaign Medal - European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal - With 4 Bronze Stars - World War II Victory Medal –
    #34 Wounds Received in Action: None (He was wounded though, would this have happened after the war technically ended while he was working in Europe? I know he spent time in a hospital and have a portrait sketched of him while he was in the hospital)
    #38 Highest Grade Held: TEC 5 (What would this mean, and what bearing does it have for his experience during the bulge?)
    #55 Remarks:
    Lapel Button Issued
    ASR Score (12 May 45) 76
    19 Days Lost Under AW 107 (I assume this means he was a bit unruly?)
    * Motor Vehicle Drivers Badge (What does this star Asterisk mean next to the badge? I've read that it conveys some connection to medals or awards?)

From a photo (attached) I found from the Bulge Bugle submitted by H.W “Bill” Butler Jr.; My Papa SW "Grieve" is pictured under the nickname “Griever” and is listed as:
    Ammunitions Squad, A & P Platoon, Headquarters Company, 424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division.
    “Bill” Butler Jr himself is listed as: Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division

Should I assume that he is part of this squad and platoon? If yes, what can I tell about the kind of work he did?

Attached Files:

Otto likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It would be safe to assume that he was in the A&P Platoon.

Welcome to the 30th Infantry Division Web Site

www.30thinfantry.org/history_docs/Battalion_Infantry_T-OE.doc

Ammunition & Pioneer Platoon

The A&P Platoon provided a pool of men who could undertake a variety of manual tasks, including distributing ammunition to forward positions. It was commanded by a 2nd Lt. with a Sergeant and a driver for the Platoon vehicle, which mounted a .50 cal. heavy machine gun. Each of its three 8 man squads was led by a Sergeant. The four NCO’s carried rifles, all other men carried Carbines, and the Platoon carried two bazookas for antitank defense..

cgrieve likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The rank of TEC 5:
    Technician fifth grade (abbreviated as T/5 or TEC 5) was a United States Army technician rank during World War II. Those who held this rank were addressed as corporal, though were often called a "tech corporal". Technicians possessed specialized skills that were rewarded with a higher pay grade. The pay grade number corresponded with the technician's rank. T/5 was under the pay grade 5, along with corporal. Technicians were easily distinguished by the "T" imprinted on the standard chevron design for that pay grade.
    [​IMG]

cgrieve likes this.