Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

being well informed about the war

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by aquist, Feb 27, 2005.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    My mother lived thru ww2 working in a defense plant in Chicago, they made ""something"" for the Navy. but she did not read the papers or go to the movies or even listen to the radio she did very little else than work. My Grandmother also worked in a sweat shop sewing for some factory-piece work. these women had no idea what was going on in the world she only knew there was a war going on. None of the battles none of the leaders nothing at all was she aware of. then it was over no more rationing and shortages . No more waiting in lines. and there were men. and there was housing and there were new challanges she was one of the few women who kept her job, Her first husband was dead so she married an ex sailor destroyer man. Her brother came home from service on board an AC. and she forgot all about the war until me. I started asking questions. what was it like? it was standing in lines it was hard work it was boredom and tedium. but she made it and has a home and a car but she is 87 and may have Alzheimers. she doesnt even know that she was a part of the greatest generation.