Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Belsen-Bergen Survivor's Lost Grave Rediscovered

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, May 11, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hope they manage to repatriate his remains to Jersey.
    "The lost grave of a British teenager who survived the notorious Bergen-Belsen concentration camp after stealing a Nazi's motorbike has been found.
    Frank Le Villio, who was arrested aged 19 after joyriding the German soldier's bike during the occupation of Jersey in 1944, was one of only two Brits to survive the horrific conditions at Bergen-Belsen.
    But mystery surrounded Frank's final resting place until historian Stanley Keiller tracked him down while researching the other British Belsen survivor, Harold Le Druillenec.
    Mr Keiller, 88, said: 'I was researching Harold as he was a neighbour of mine. I was in Jersey during the occupation as well - he was a neighbour of mine.
    'I always thought Harold was the only British-born survivor. But I found out Frank Le Villio was too.'
    Frank was 15 at the start of the occupation on the tiny channel island and he refused to work for the Germans.
    In 1944, he stole the motorbike belonging to a German soldier and went off for a ride.
    'Frank owned a bike which was confiscated at the beginning of the occupation.
    'It was one of those stupid things - we were teenagers and we didn't have iPads and iPods that they have today.
    'They [the Germans] took our radios and so we had to make our own entertainment.
    'So being a teenager, I think he [Frank] strayed beyond the bounds of what he should've been doing. It was youthful temptation for which he paid a heavy price.'
    But he was caught, arrested by the German Military Police, charged with 'military larceny', and sentenced to three months imprisonment in France.
    He was sent to the notorious Fresnes prison near Paris, then on to two further prison camps - Belfort, and finally to Neuengamme, before ending up in Bergen-Belsen.
    The conditions at Bergen-Belsen were so brutal that Frank was one of only two people to have survived
    Mr Keiller, of Salcombe, Devon, traced Frank back to Nottingham where, with the help of a local vicar, found he had been buried in a pauper's grave.
    Frank made his way to Nottingham to live with his father after being liberated - but tragically died one year later of tuberculosis aged just 21."
    Lost grave of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp survivor | Daily Mail Online

Read more: Lost grave of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp survivor | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor