Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Beltring' is Back ! 2017

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Martin Bull, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr Patron  

After three years in the unloved Folkestone location which saw the War & Peace show gradually evolving ( devolving ?) into a sort of glorified car boot fair for groups of schoolkids, W&P returned to its spiritual home - the Whitbread Hop Farm at Beltring.

A friend and I have been going for fifteen years so we were there on day 1, Tuesday of this week. We were delighted to find that many of our old favourite dealers from the Continent were back and spent a great day combing the stalls.

I'd love to post my pics but after the Photobucket disaster I'm afraid you'll all have to use your imaginations.

What did I get ? A PaK40 three-round box minus lid for £15 ( well, at that price...) plus complete PaK40 75mm AP round for £70. A metal 8.8cm canister ( rusty but complete, with all inserts ). I couldn't believe that this very scarce item was marked at £30 and when I presented it to the stallholder he immediately reduced it to £25 ! I also got an 88mm shellcase to go inside for £20. Three C12 fuzes in mint condition for £7.50 each....and a complete 5cm HE shell ( the 'long' one ) for £60. To round the day off nicely, I found the Armes & Militaria #1 bound volume to complete my set for £8, and the English version of Spielberger's 'Panzer III' book for £9.

I went home very happy indeed .......

Welcome back, Beltring !

:cool:

CAC and von Poop like this.
  2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

This is encouraging.
    My little pack of alcoholic campers never bothered with the Folkestone events, based on Intel from other mates.
    Was v pleased to hear it's back at the hop farm, but still concerned at it not attracting the same vehicle entries with lack of transport subsidy and hiked prices. Its soshul meeja feeds also seemed to neglect it being a vehicle show.

Lot of money to camp a week and find less vehicles. Any thoughts on that, Martin? Or were you mostly shopping? (Fully aware that a detailed trawl of proper Beltring shops takes at least a day.)

3. von Poop

Careful. There's a magic section in that book about sprockets that repeatedly sent me to sleep. And I really like sprockets.

4. Martin Bull

Yes indeed - or no, indeed - I think that every Land Rover ever built ( and then some...) was there. But the heavy stuff seemed absent. My mate and I were particularly disappointed that the StuG - which we thought was supposed to be there - was nowhere to be found.

On the plus side, the vehicles were where they used to be ( ie right next to the stalls ) so you didn't have to 'yomp' for what seemed to be miles, as was the case at Folkestone.

I really do hope that the vehicle issues can be ironed out in future. Going back to Beltring highlighted how awful ( IMPO ) the other place was. And, even though it's further from the Tunnel, the Euro dealers felt the same way......

5. von Poop

Really hadn't realised until recently how much Mr C's subsidised arrangements for vehicle transport helped make the show what it was.
    Kind of hurts as I loved it there every year, but will want to get a better feel for heavy gear returning before splashing cash again.

If you mean the 'Facebook Stug', he definitely put some pics up of it and his Marder in situ, though lordy I appreciate how the scale of the site can make things tricky to find.
    Stug III Ausf D Restoration

6. Martin Bull

Yes, that's the man - I really admire his work. Shame we missed it, but it's something for next time !