Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Beretta m1935

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by glagnaar, Apr 1, 2014.

1. glagnaar

glagnaar New Member

I picked up a Beretta m1935 .32acp vt1944 from a gunsmith's used firearm bin. I only paid $300 for it and from what i found on it i got a pretty good deal. only problem is that there's an oddity with the barrel. all the serial numbers match 53XXXX, has 4/UT and crown lion proofs, but the barrel is polished and threaded. if it was an aftermarket barrel that would make sense, but again the numbers match. i can't find any account of either the Italians or Germans producing threaded barrels. is this a rare find or did somebody before me foolishly modify it?

here

View attachment 20628

Attached Files:

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Silencers/suppressors are more common in Europe than the US. You can check the thread pitch to see if it was done in the US. American thread pitches for firearms that size are 1/2x20 (prior to about 1950-60ish) or 1/2x28 later. You can take the barrel to any good hardware store to measure the thread pitch.

If the pitch is something metric (not 1/2x20 or 1/2x28) then it was done in Europe and may be original factory production. If it is US thread pitch, then you at least know it's altered.

The M1935 has an extended barrel which allows the tip to be threaded, so it may have been something made by the factory as a trainer. I can't help you there.

3. glagnaar

glagnaar New Member

stopped by a gun shop just before they closed earlier today, tried to put on a few different suppressors and none of the threads matched up, so probably metric. im going to try and get there early tomorrow so they can measure out exactly what the pitch is.

4. glagnaar

glagnaar New Member

update: took it to a gun shop here in town to measure thread pitch, puzzled the hell out of them too. threads are squared off at the top and pitch is close to 20/inch or 1.25 per some metric unit, he doesn't know. couldn't think of anything that would fit it either.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That could be good news. If it's not 1/2x20 (vintage) or 1/2x28 (new) then it's definitely done in Europe. It still could have been done by a private owner in Europe and thus be an alteration. In Europe, a suppressor is just considered good manners. They aren't nuts about them, like our politicians.

I still recommend you take it to a full service hardware store. They'll have both inch pattern and metric tools to tell you exactly what the thread pitch is. You could just remove the barrel (knock out the pin) and carry it in if you don't feel comfortable walking in with a gun.

Once you have the exact thread pitch you could contact Beretta with the serial number and perhaps get a letter or response indicating if it was a factory job. Beretta is not huge in the collector market, but it would certainly add value to the gun.