Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Berlin Lancaster Loss 2/3 December 1943

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by grim, May 3, 2008.

1. grim

grim Member

My Uncle was lost over berlin on the night of the 2nd/3rd December 1943. He was in a 103 squadron Lancaster. Depending on which source you look at
    Chorley says JB401, squadron Orb says JB733, but the raf historical branch say that "At approximately 23:00 hours the Lancaster was seen approaching the village of Philadelphia, Kreis Beeskow at a height of 6,000 feet and on fire, when it suddenly exploded and crashed into woods, north of the railway line and approximately 2kms from the village. All seven crew members were killed in the crash and were originally buried in the Philadelphia Cemetery at Beeskow, Germany before being transferred to the Berlin 39-45 war cemetery." So which ever aircraft he was in, thats what happened. I'd like to know if theres any nightfighter claims for this, if so who, as I'd always been lead to believe it was flak? Any information greatfully received.

I have the squadron Orb's ( Operational record books ) for Oct/Nov/Dec 1943 if I can help anyone...........

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nightfighter claims for the night in this area are from about 20.00 to 21.00 . Even with the time difference , the fighters times would not fit. This leaves two possiblilties. Either the time indications arte wrong or this aircraft was hit by Flak. Most aircrafts of this operation had returned around 00.30-1.00 am (GMT) despite the long distance. For instance DS851 crashed in England at 00.35 despite a slow flight that delayed it's return .

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

there are claims for 42 Bomber Command A/C this eve by the Nachtjagd

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I wonder if the 23.00 figure could be 21.00 in that case three Nightfigter claims in the Berlin area would fit. By the way is Philadelphia Kr. Beeskow near Berlin?

5. grim

grim Member

yes, its about 30miles south east of berlin......

6. steven belgium

steven belgium recruit

Dear Sirs,

on november 8th 2009, we will inaugurate a memorial for the crew of Lancaster JB733 of 103 sqn that crashed in Hallaar (Belgium) in the night of may 11th 1944. We want to invite the relatives of the crew for this inauguration but we could only trace the family of Sgt Webb and P/O Carter. Maybe you can help us with finding more information about the operation war history of the JB733 and the crew and also to find relatives of the other crewmembers.

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Steven Volckaerts
    Merestraat 8
    B-3128 Baal
    Belgium

7. Icare9

Icare9 Member

To bring this to the fore, as Nov 8th not far away now, and if anyone can trace crews or find time to be at the unveiling of the Memorial to JB733, there is still a bit of time to get in touch with Steven.

It would seem that the 103 Sqdn ORB is incorrect, and it must be JB401 that grims uncle was in. Not much consolation, but at least the twining of these threads shows where JB733 crashed, so it could not have been the Lanc that crashed on the outskirts of Berlin.

To refresh memories, this is the JB733 information and crew details:-
    Airborne 2158 11 May 44 from Elsham Wold to bomb the rail yards. Shot down by a night-fighter (Oblt Werner Baake of 1./Njg1) and crashed 0200 12 May 44 at Loenhout, some 24 km NE from the centre of Antwerpen. All were buried 15 May 44 at Antwerpen-Deure. They have been subsequently re-interred in Schoonselhof Cemetery. This crew, with the exception of Sgt Ramage, had been involved in a landing accident 27 Mar 44. See ND402.
    P/O R.Whitley KIA
    Sgt K.L.Ramage KIA
    WO2 J.A.Carter RCAF KIA
    F/S R.B.Webb KIA
    Sgt P.N.Crutchfield KIA
    Sgt J.W.Smith KIA
    Sgt K.M.Martin KIA

If anyone knows of relatives of these crew, please pass this info on.

No doubt Steven will be able to provide details of where the Memorial is being sited, and perhaps advise on travel and accommodation issues.

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

..deleted.

9. keithlyndon

keithlyndon recruit

My uncle, F/L Francis Hopps DFC was skipper of JB401.The crew that evening were as follows.. F/L F.T.Hopps DFC KIA Sgt R.S.Timeson KIA P/O F.J.roberts DFM RCAF KIA Sgt W.L.Sargent KIA Sgt R.Thomas KIA Sgt J.B.Daniel KIA Sgt R.E.Black RCAF KIA .

Can anyone tell me the circumstances surrounding the fate of this aircraft? We have two stories to go on within the family. The first, is that the aircraft was hit, landed, but hit a tree before exploding. The second, is that the plane was successfully landed, but the crew died in a gun battle with German forces. Many thanks for any help. Keith. Ps..have some pictures of the plane and crew. Contact me if you want them. They won't upload here.

10. Silverpoon

Silverpoon recruit

Sorry to drag up an old thread. My Grandfather was F. J. Roberts. (Johnny).... I was just Googling away and this place came up. I have never heard anything about a safe landing and a gun battle, but we have only known a little, and not for long either. Thanks for reading.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

to add Oberleutnant Werner Baake was flying with 2./NJG 1 in a He 219A-0 the time was 00.43 hrs and the crash was sited some 24km from Antwerpen. This was Baake's 28th victim.

another pilot from 1./NJG 1 flying a He 219A was also active shooting down 626 Sqn. Lancaster JB 409 on the same evening. E-W Modrow.