Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best Allied War Time Political/Civilian Leader

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by J.A. Costigan, Aug 23, 2009.

?

Best Allied Major Political leader

1. Frankin Roosevelt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Winston Churchill

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Josef Stalin

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. Chiang Kai-Shek

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

In terms of overall leadership.

I know this might lead to incredible biases LOL.

I'm going to have to go with FDR though, his calm and reassuring voice really aided in the resilience of Americans after WWII. After Pearl Harbor Americans were going to be ready for a titanic clash already, but FDR did a great job of rallying Americans and voicing clearly the U.S.'s role and the mission.

-General Leadership
    -Lead Lease (big part of it)
    -Building a good relationship and consensus with Churchill and Stalin.
    -Idea for the UN (at least in theory a noble idea)
    -Appointment of Eisenhower as Supreme Allied Commander
    -The "Europe First" mentality, while not ignoring the Pacific.

2. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

All of the "big 3" were exceptional men, the main contribution of FDR was getting the US in the war, without his pushing neurality to the limit, and sometimes beyond that, WW2 may have taken a very different course.
    But as an individual making the difference I have, much against my personal likings, to go for Stalin, a different, possibly less ruthless, man may well have failed to "rally and bully" the mix of nationalities thart was the USSR into the military steamroller it eventually became. He did make a lot of mistakes but, fortunatly for the allied cause, no critical one and, contrary to Hitler, usually learned from them.

Put someone else in place of FDR after Pearl Harbor and little will change, remove Churchill and the British may actually do better (Mers el Kebir and "desert priority" over the PTO were questionable decisions) but take away Stalin and the USSR may well collapse.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I have to agree with TOS that all three were exceptional (how did Chiang even make the list?). I can understand the reasoning for both FDR and Stalin, but I'm going to go with Churchill. Despite his strategic errors, I believe that no other leader could have kept Britain going in the dark days of 1940-41. It's almost as if he kept Britain afloat by himself. Add to that his ability to either negotiate with or bully the other two as necessary, and Winnie is my choice.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

As much as I would love to vote for FDR, and recognizing the impact of Stalin on the former USSR, I have to go with Churchill. His personality, tenacity, and ability to "muster the English language, and sent it to war" was without equal.

FDR was a consumate politician, and knew when to leave the military matters to the military. Something Churchill did eventually grasp, but never wholeheartedly. Stalin also figured that out, but not before he had made errors which placed his nation "on the brink". Those things said, I still have to go with Churchill. He stood literally alone for months both defying Hitlerism (while Stalin joined him), and cajoling we Americans with a combination of humor and sarcasm into joining in the fight as best we could inside our own political system.

I agree with Lou, how in the world did Chiang get in the mix? He was more of a distraction and a deficit than an aid to the cause of defeating totalitarian militaristic expansionism. In the dictionary the words corrupt politican should have his picture as an example.

5. rebel1222

rebel1222 Member

FDR did a magnificant job of manipulating the US into the war. After that, he did a great job of managing he personalities of MaAurthur, Nimitz and King.

DogFather likes this.
  6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Ill go with Roosevelt. An intelligent man with common sense behind a very powerful nation is a good recipe for success. He is also my second favorite U.S. president after Reagan. :D

Stalin will get my vote for #2 based solely for his WW2 contribution and not for his humanitarian work.

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

again all of the big 3.. Bias maker the ultimate choice a tad easier i know.. Forget chiang.. My views there echo winnies. As lou and clint say.. Oratory and language make my choice for me.. Winstons lesser known sayings and thoughts may surprise some even on this forum.. Maybe i should start a thread.. Many will be surprised at the great mans duplicity.. A true brit before a true lover of freedoms. And i dont insult the man with that comment.