Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best TIGER book, anyone?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Martin Bull, Jun 26, 2002.

1. uksubs

uksubs Member

Thx for the intell

2. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

You can also try Germany's Tiger Tanks from Thomas L. Jentz and Hillary doyle. I got the first volume the day before yesterday and it's a great book! The amount of info available is just breath taking and it's all from original sources. there are 3 volumes.
    The first covers the original design the D.W. until the Tiger E (design development, statistics, Gear ratios breaks, modifications to the design,...) the second covers the Tiger II and the third is about historical emplacements and combat.

Amazon.co.uk: Germany's Tiger Tanks: Germany's Tiger Tanks DW to Tiger 1 Design, Production and Modifications: Thomas L. Jentz, Hilary L. Doyle: Books

Amazon.co.uk: Germany's Tiger Tanks: VK 45.02 to Tiger II - Design, Production and Modifications (Schiffer Military History): Thomas L. Jentz, Hilary L. Doyle: Books

Amazon.co.uk: Germany's Tiger Tanks: Tiger I and Tiger II - Combat Tactics: Thomas L. Jentz: Books

I'll probably order the other two books after hollidays if I hve enough money left :p
    Oh you might try getting them from the German Amazon as the books are 1.5X cheaper!

Cheers...

3. Hawkmoon432k

Hawkmoon432k Dishonorably Discharged

Carius' book is one of my fav books and all about his Tiger combat experiences. As such its a pretty good memoir, although his writing is somewhat uneven, with some real gems. Otto is one amazing guy, no turncoat he stays loyal in his convictions. Funny thing, physically he looks like he just walked out of junior high but he's one of the greatest warriors of all time!
    The Tiger is certainly my fav tank and IMHO the best in WWII by far.

Tigers in the Mud, I believe is widely available on Amazon, published in paperback from Stackpole.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Many thanks for the info on the 503 books, Neil.....:cool:

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:panic: :panzer: :bastid:

Hands up who's going to Bovington to see Tiger 131 running this weekend!

Though if I'm honest I'm probably more excited about the Vickers Medium... :eyebrows:

Cheers,
    Adam.

6. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

..I'm tempted Adam...nice to see you can print out your own programme via the web site ...
    Tiger running on Sunday only apparently

7. uksubs

uksubs Member

Is it bugger :mad:

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

What!!! :eek:

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Rather than post a new thread I thought I'd revive this truly ancient one ( which I've just had some nostalgic fun re-reading ).

Anyhow, having had the Stackpole paperback reprint of Schneider's 'Tigers In Combat I & II' on my shelves for many years, I jumped at he chance to buy a seconfhand set of the original, long out-of-print JJF-published German-language volumes at the La Gleize show this year. The large-size reproduction of photos is truly excellent ( the weak point of the Stackpole paperbacks ).

So, as a special treat from me to me this Christmas, I completed the set with 'Tigers in Combat Vol. III' published - in English - by Helion in the UK. Size and format are identical to the JJF volumes, making for a very attractive set.

Whereas the original two volumes consisted of data about the combat formations, Vol. III is almost a 'Tiger compendium' detailing how the Tiger was built, operated and deployed. Schneider has taken the opportunity to select from the many Tiger photos amassed during his research ( there are a lot, which means that reproduction size is necessarily smaller than the earlier volumes ). As a 'Tiger nut', I've found the book absolutely absorbing, right down to descriptions of how to use the blowlamp, load ammunition, etc etc. Also included are gems such as the (previously unpublished) recollections and photos of Herr Pertuss from Henschel and a fascinating ( but all-too-brief) discussion of the Tigers' use as a propaganda tool. It's all rounded off with a chapter of amendments/updates to the other volumes.

Highly recommended - and I've finally answered my question from 2002 (!). With Schneider's three volumes on my shelf, I do feel that I've got 'The Best TIGER Book'.........