Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best World War 2 Comics

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Wolfy, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Any recommendations? I prefer high quality, modern art.

My ratings of the ones I have:

I thought Sgt. Rock was quite good:
    Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place

Amazon.com: Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place: Joe Kubert, Brian Azzarello: Books

Art: 4/5
    Story: 4/5

Authenticity: 3/5

[​IMG]

War Stories 1

Amazon.com: War Stories, Vol. 1: Garth Ennis: Books

Johann's Tiger
    Art: 3/5
    Story:2/5

D-Day Dodgers
    Story:3/5
    Authenticity: 4/5

Screaming Eagles

Art:2/5
    Story:1/5
    Authenticity:2/5

Nightingale
    Art:4/5
    Story:3/5
    Authenticity:4/5

D-Day Dodgers is about the conversations that a new Lt. has with a British combat veteran as they prepare for a set-piece combined arms assault in Italy.

Nightingale is about the experiences of a naval crewman.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I enjoyed reading about The Blackhawks when I was a kid. It was one of the WW2 based comics, along with Sgt. Rock, that I found engrossing.

"The greedy grasp of tyranny is upon Europe, and ramparts of evil challenge the free-born peoples of the world to dispute Nazi cruelty if they dare! And there are those who dare, who never refused a dare yet! Messengers of destruction to all evil and injustice -- The Blackhawks!"
    Blackhawk History

"Blackhawk was a member of the Polish resistance (originally he was meant to be Polish, but retcons later made him Polish-American, who had joined the resistance because America was doing nothing about the invasion of his ancestral home), fighting the Nazis with daring night attacks in a plane he had painted black. However, after one such raid, he was pursued back to his family's farm by Colonel Von Tepp, who then bombed the house, killing Blackhawk's younger brother and sister. Blackhawk vowed revenge, and began a ceaseless campaign to destroy the Hun; he soon attracted like minded fliers from other occupied countries, leading to the formation of the Blackhawk Squadron (Poles Blackhawk and Stanislaus, the English Chuck, Dutchman Hendrickson, Frenchman Andre, Swedish Olaf and Chinese Chop-Chop (Liu Huang), answerable only to Winston Churchill."
    The Golden Age Blackhawk

There was also a series called Sgt. Fury. See more about it here.
    Don Markstein's Toonopedia: Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos

3. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

4. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

i prefered the unknown soldier, though sgt rock was mighty awesome

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

hehe,this is highly unusual- A "good german" comic that depicts a 7 foot tall superman defeating British soldiers.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

7. macker33

macker33 Member

Battle later called BATTLE ACTION after it joined up with Action,the one with charlies war,johnny red,rat pack and major eazy in it.

Followed by Warlord.

The only other ones i can think of are victor(which wasnt really that good)and the small commando pocket comics.
    [​IMG]

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Whoa, this is pretty awesome

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Sgt. Rock (2009) The Lost Battalion

[​IMG]

Pretty bad story- more like a mix of Band of Brothers, The Lost Battalion (LOL), SPR, etc. and other war films. The Art is alright and surprisingly accurate, but the faces are poorly done. The writer simply doesn't know much at all about WW2 and the writing is sloppy.

Story: 1/5

Authenticity: 4/5

I'm going to rate Sgt. Rock: The prophecy next (and it's supposed to be pretty good).

10. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

This was a must read every month when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

11. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy

Significantly weaker than Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place

[​IMG]

Story: 2/5
    Authenticity: 2/5

Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place
    is the best WW2 comic I've read so far. It takes place in the Hurtgen forest.

Story: 4/5

[​IMG]

12. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Light Brigade

US troops vs. Supernatural German soldiers. Nuff' said. Good art and decent writing.

Art 5/5
    Story 3/5
    Authenticity 3/5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

Captain America too :)

not even in ww2 yet and we had a cover of captain punching hitler

14. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I was a fan of the Haunted Tank, too. Thanks for posting cover. It gave me goose bumps.
    I agree that Sgt. Rock would be pretty close to the top of any list of Best WW2 comics but there were some issues in Rock's series that were duds (at least that's what I thought).
    How about the Losers? Johnny Cloud, Capt. Storm etc. was a pretty neat group when I was a kid. Now, they're not as impressive I used to think.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Fury and his Howling Commandos were given a promotion and a new job as Col. Nick Fury of SHIELD.

15. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Another I'd recommend is Art Spiegelman's 'Maus'.
    In a slightly bizarre concept he tells the story of his father's time at Auschwitz, (Mauschwitz) with the Jewish prisoners as Mice, and the Nazis as cats. Despite it's slightly odd viewpoint (Spiegelman is definitely a rather strange chap), it's one of the few times that Comic books ever really strayed into 'Great Art' territory for me; immensely disturbing & (If I remember right) a well deserved pullitzer prize-winner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~A

green slime likes this.
  16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Jaysus, this thread certainly brings back some nice memories.

I liked the earlier and reincarnated Blackhawk series. The stuff from the 1950s is amazing-I still have a few issues of those as well as the 80s short-lived revival.

I have most of the Sgt Fury and many of the Sgt Rock comics. I also collected GI Combat and have that issue that 36thVA posted the cover of.

I HAD at onetime-before these were stolen) about 1/2 the series run for Captain America Comics (published during WWII) the writing was fantastic but I liked looking at Alex Schomburgs amazing artistic skills. I HAD that copy of CAC-that showed him punching Hitler. The 1960s Jim Steranko Captain America was also fantastic-I love his arty.

Now there are many other titles I have from other companies lick Charlton Comics and etc. I don't remember their titles off=hand but--they had many many great stories I read. Also, I loved anything ont by Joe Jubert - the first pic posted of Rock looks like Kuberts work-or some Artists "tribute" to Joe Kubert and Sgt. Rock. Kubert BTW-was a GI on a troop ship heading for Korea-when he first came up with the idea of Sgt. Rock.

Other greats include: Wierd War Tales, Blitzkrieg (a 3 issue lived series about the Germans in WWII) Fightin Army/Fightin Navy, Fightin Marines, Gunner and Sarge (from The Losers) and so many off-shoot titles from the 40s and 50s that I no longer remember the names to unless I dig out my books.

Sgt. Rock was actually called: Our Army At War-and I also had a few of the earliest issues-that is-until some slimy lazy thief stole them from my collection. The earliest issue I had was OAAW #13-which had one of the most fantastic covers I had ever seen-which showed our guys assaulting a "Lobsterback" position during the Revolutionary War.

There was another short-lived CD war series I liked alot-which was modeled after GI Combat-in format and stories) in which had a Viking Warrior sho I think was "frozen" amd somehow was found and or thawed out (still alive) in WWII. I can't remember that titles name but-it was nicely done too.

Anything done by either: Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, Jack Kirby (a Master of comics I greatly miss the works of) and John Severin of Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos - fame.

Maus is an "Underground" Comic Series. I never could get "into" them. The only Underground series I liked was: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. ;-))

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

For Lou, there was a nice novel published in the early 1980s that is a Blackhawk book. Its a great read and I THINK I still have my copy of it somewhere? Anyway, this book tells of Blackhawk and his groups origins. Very nicely written and explained.

18. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

unfortunately due to the age, and my and my brother i do own a handful of unknown soldiers, and our army at wars, but their condition is poor and they have not aged well.,

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi FG, I used to have to hide mine hidden under the house-that is-untill my Dad realized that no amount of griping about them were going to keep me from collecting them.

20. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

Well my dad had a collection of them between moves and me and my brother being destructive he only had id say about 10 left , but he had never baged and backed them which i dont know why, first thing i did with them was i got the sleeves to somewhat protect them.

When he was overseas during the vietnam war he would buy some and even before then when he was a kid, i do not know which numbers i have or what years id have to go to the storage center where theyre at to look.