Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Black Hawk Down. Anyone seen it yet?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Jul 30, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yes I know it's a several years old movie and yes im sure it's been talked about here somewhere? But, the reason why I was asking about this now is that apparently FX has a fixation of repeat-showings of this movie--which I have watched each showing of lately and I like the movie very much--one of few newer-type movies I can say that about.

As I type this, Sergeants Shugart SP? and Gordon are earning their future (unfortunately) posthumously awardings of their Medals of Honor. :-( Since it's release from theatrical to DvD and cable TV, I would imagine i've seen this "new classic" probably about 30-40 times already. Not bad for a "new classic" eh?

Anyone else think this was a great film? I'd sure like a few thoughts about it ;-))

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

When the movie first came out there were several specials on the History channel about it.

The movie as a whole pisses me off.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

In a way, it does me too. I don't remember if I had watched any of those Docs on he history channel or not? been too long since I watched much on their station outside of rare programming and Mail Call.

Right now Sergeant Eversmann (SP?) and his guys-just saw the column arrive.

I unfortunately don't know as much about the actual events and have been meaning to check into them, but it seemed to me like everything was doomed to failure from the beginning. Strictly speaking as an outsider.

4. formerjughead

I think it was just a poorly planned mission. Missions that assume success are rarely successful.

5. Union Jack Jackson

Union Jack Jackson Member

A quality film which I've watched numerous times...a modern day classic : )
    I bought an M-16 and hand grenade which were apparently used in the film?!?!??!!?
    The key word being 'apparently'....

6. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

I often use Blackhawk down as an example when lecturing on battlepreperation. It was a clusterf**k from the word go. As formerjughead said assuming that it is going to be a success is poor form.

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

there used to be an excellent memorial website to the individuals concerned..very sad..as for movies of actions jugs..one should be made of trapped marines in gulf one..on saudi border..now there was an action to be proud of even with blue on blues.

8. formerjughead

Is that the incident where the A-10 chewed up the column of LAV-25's and AAV's ?

Someone needed to go to jail for that debacle

Triple C likes this.
  9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the comments gents--especially as i know you guys in particular-chewed up your fair share of rocks and dirt.

Also what you guys said it being a fouled-up mission-I always felt the same way. In the time period this had happened, I was working long schedules as a CO and only heard bits and pieces but also remember when I heard that 19 of our guys died. Back in those days, I never had time to do any serious thinking on researching more about that mission.

10. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

How does that saying go?

"No mission ever survives first contact"

11. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

No plan survive...

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

they couldn't hit a barn door from therrrr.......medic!!!

13. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

If it's not too insensitive of me, can I ask why it pisses you off? I mean, besides the fact that those poor bastards were butchered like that, and besides the fact that we didn't just blow Somalia back into the stone age like we should have.

Was there something inaccurate about the movie? I mean, I was fresh out of the service myself when that all happened, and I recall being VERY angry, but I dont remember all the particulars, which is why I'm asking.

14. 505Dan

505Dan Member

The movie was great, the book even better. Yes it 'disturbed" me as well, especially when the convoy kept having to run through the gaunlet time and again. As bad as a Charlie-Foxtrot it was, the US Military sure learned some valuable lessons.

out

Dan

15. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

The movie has a strange way of portraying a Charlie Foxtrot. I haven't read the book, but those who have are even more critical towards the film.

As I stated before I use the movie as reference material on "prepare for battle" drills and IPB stuff.

16. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

I enjoyed the film :)

17. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

As a film I find it to be ok, but when dealing with something that actually happened and still is a part of the public memory; you'd better be spot on with what you do.

18. formerjughead

Poor leadership and planning.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Maybe this is a silly question, but how close does the movie follow what really happened? Or the book? I watched the movie and felt like those guys went in there without much of a chance to succeed, much less make it back to their base. Good men sacrificed for nothing from what the movie portrays. Yes, it seemed to be a poorly handled operation, but the blame shouldn't be placed on the men.

20. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Well I'm Sorry But This Movie is Really UnStandable!! Eventhough It's Full of Great Special Effects ,Bullets & RPG-7s ,But It's Also Full of Lies (US Rangers Suffered a Larger Losses in Somaila 1993 and Somali Aideed Miltia Suffered a Big Losses But Not Like The Movie "Tangos") US Rangers had never Faced such a Skilled Street Fighters!! (The Somalis Were Firing From Their Aks Without Even Aiming ,Nevertheless They Hitted US Rangers Asses!!)