Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bomber Command 514 Sqdn DS813

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by carter, Aug 4, 2014.

1. carter

carter New Member

I'm a newbie to the Forum, searching for any member who has information about DS813 of 514Sqdrn Bomber Command which was shot down on the night of 28th/29th July 1944 with the loss of all on board, including my Father Harold Gordon(Nick) Carter, who was the Flight Engineer. Our family have just returned from Choloy where we commemorated the 70th anniversary of their death. If any one out there knew my Father and can tell me something about him I would be most grateful. Cheers!

TIRDAD likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome .I hope I'll be able to help , as I've been searching the Stuttgart Operations for over ten years. You are certainly aware that Lancaster DS813 crashed at Deinvillers and that the crew was buried there (1944-45) until it was reburied in Choloy after the war.

TIRDAD likes this.
  3. carter

carter New Member

Thanks for your reply, Skipper. As you rightly said I am aware of the Deinvillers connection but I imagine the likelihood of pinpointing the exact crash site is remote. I have a photograph of an elderly couple standing by the original grave and have been told that they tended the grave until the men were moved to Choloy. I have also contact with a lady whose husband's relative was Sidney Picton. My quest really is to find out as much as I can about my father. I was two years old at the time of his death and know hardly anything about him. I imagine it will be difficult to find someone who actually knew him personally, but I live in hope.

I have contacted Alex Campbell as I believe he was on the Stuttgart raid; as yet I have not had a reply, but I am hopeful.

Thanks again, Kommodore.

TIRDAD likes this.
  4. carter

carter New Member

Sorry, Skipper, got confused there, didn't mean to sign off naming you Kommodore!

TIRDAD likes this.
  5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I can't help much, but I did find his tombstone in Choloy.

[​IMG]

TIRDAD likes this.
  6. carter

carter New Member

Thanks for your reply Lou and for the photo; much appreciated. The search goes on for more information, hopefully someone out there will have known my father.

Kind regards

Carter

TIRDAD likes this.
  7. igor

igor New Member

good afternoon ....i m native from a village near deinvillers and i own a photo of the lancaster wreck....a native of my village told me the story of the crew burrial and showed the crash site ....regards

TIRDAD likes this.
  8. Jaap Vermeer MDE

Jaap Vermeer MDE Active Member