Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Book: "The Battle of the Bulge, in Luxembourg. The Southern Flank, Dec 1944-Jan 1945.

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by C.Evans, Jun 18, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This looks like a VERY welldone 2 Vol Series on the battle. Vol 1, is from the German perspective, vol 2, is from the G.I. perspective. I just bought vol 1, as 2 seems to not be out yet, and will give a reviwe when finished.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Volume 1 was a very nicely done book with many reports done by the German landser himself. You get to see what things were like from the viewpoints coming from Officers, NCOs and Enlisted men themselves.

For the first time, I have seen The Battle of the Bulge, through the eyes of the Germans. 99% of the book, was a compilation of all the reports from the Lansers. The author really did not include much of his own material, but perhapse that is what makes this book so good to read.

Many time I was "captured" as if in a timewarp, and felt as if I was witnessing the sights and sounds of the happenings, just like the real men did. You almost felt the pain, the ever constant hunger pangs, the sickness and the horror of war.

THE only gripe I have on this book, is that they should have had it proof-read and checked for spelling and punctuational errors. All in all, with the errors, you really do get a feel of this as seen and told by the Landser.

I will give this book an A, for the historical value it has, on the little actions. Most of which seems to have centered around the small town of Diekirch.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes to study what happened during that monumental battle. [​IMG] [​IMG]