Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bookcase Pictures.

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by von Poop, Oct 31, 2016.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Best view you're going to get.

[​IMG]

2. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

You can see his memoirs on the bottom shelf. (20 red books)

I also used to read at school and got those wtf looks lol.

ColHessler likes this.
  3. OpanaPointer

BTW, I'm a member at LibraryThing.com, where I keep my "on hand" book list. It's handy for me when I have to remember if I already have a book or not, I can check my catalog on my phone.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Swine!
    Already seen your Librarything (bit stalky? You mentioned it here a while back...).
    I wanted to see your MOUND of stuff for scanning etc.. Why d'you think I started this nonsense... ;)

George Patton likes this.
  5. OpanaPointer

I have a four inch thick stack of AARs on Coral Sea on my desk right now. Gotta scan that puppy soon-ish. Right now I'm slamming the NHHC with files to support the 75th anniversary of the raid on Pearl Harbor.

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've now had leisure to browse through some of the other bookshelves posted here ; somehow it's conforting to see many familiar titles ; and then there are the envy-inducing ones, like Adam's Collector Grade 'Sturmgewehr!' and ( as you'd expect ) some tasty armour books.....and Gordon's neatly-binder'ed 'After The Battles' ( unlike my pile of them in the cupboard ).....

7. OpanaPointer

I recently picked up Roscoe's United States Destroyer Operations in World War II and United States Submarine Operations in World War II for $7.99 each.

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Those bindered ATBs of Gordon's definitely noted here. (Never bought that full set for peanuts years back, mutter, harumph, etc.)
    Bit of book-stacking building there, Martin. Think of that shriven feeling more shelves may bring one day. :)

My 'rescue in a fire' things on those main shelves is the boxes at the very bottom. A full set of Wheels and Tracks that might make me cry a little if I lost.
    Those and the HMSO British armour series.

It's odd, because I don't really regard myself as a bibliophile, and treat my books appallingly by some measures, but they are sort of... satisfying.

9. OpanaPointer

#4 is a hardcore bibliophile, you can't tell which books she's read and which are fresh from the store.

So every once in a while I cut a book to pieces to make PDFing easier and I hear her eyes on the back of my neck.

10. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And binders individually indexed.
    Yes, I am that pedantic. :eek:

Proud of these original copies of Hammerton Press' The War Illustrated from both world wars. Bought volume one of the Great War edition in a bookshop in Romsey, Hants when I was twelve, and literally spent the next 25 years collecting the rest.
    Above them you can see the volumes of Twenty Years After; an interwar series which went back to the various battlefields and illustrated them with then and now pictures- which inspired After The Battle, of course.

[​IMG]

This is a set I collected as a teenager. In the '70s Marshall Cavendish did this 90 part reprint of WW2 British newspapers with additional sleeves outlining a crucial part of wartime history.

[​IMG]

Part one was a reprint of The Daily Mirror from September 4th 1939.

[​IMG]

There were also reprints of famous wartime posters, from both sides. This one never recovered from being stuck on my bedroom wall with GPO insulating tape rather than drawing pins...like any sensible person would have thought of...

[​IMG]

Otto likes this.
  11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Indeed - 'Set them back on your shelves with your own hands. Arrange them to your own plan, so that if you do not know what is in them, you at least know where they are....' ( Winston S Churchill, 'Thoughts And Adventures') .

( Which reminds me - I haven't posted a pic of my Churchill shelf...........)

12. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Just a little update. I'm halfway through the South Africans at War series, so that shelf looks a little fuller. Plus there is the Nomonhan book.

Attached Files:

13. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

IMG_0273.JPG

Now I've finished with the South Africans at War Series.

von Poop, GRW and Otto like this.