Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Books You Didn't Like

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by LRusso216, Mar 29, 2017.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

There's an interesting discussion at WW2 Talk about books that didn't live up to your expectations. I thought it would be a useful thread here. Are there any books you didn't like? Name the book and author. If you feel like giving your thoughts, feel free.

"Tanks in Hell" by Oscar Gilbert. I thought it would discuss tank warfare in Tarawa. Very little of the book was devoted to that. Instead it kind of rambled about clothing, its development, tank tactics, etc. Not what I was expecting from the title.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There was a general US military history book that was assigned reading when I was in Uni. It described the first US warship, a converted freighter as a "battleship".

Another noted that Heydrich ordered the destruction of Lidice.

On topic (finally) An Army at Dawn was highly, and tediously, detailed.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Although it was reviewed highly before I read it, Stauffenberg: A Family History by Peter Hoffman was a cumbersome and dry read. It was meticulously researched but there is only so much I can handle about Stefan George and his poetry.

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Gerald Astor's Wings of Gold was pretty bad . . . no, I lie . . . it was freakin terrible. I could go on, but it would be pages.