Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bovington Tank Museum at Trafalgar SQ September 15

Discussion in 'Living History' started by gtblackwell, Sep 2, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member

The Museum is going to have a Challenger 2 and a Mark 1V replica on display there, not really WW2 but interesting nevertheless. The Mk 1V being the first generation of tanks and the 2 is the current one. . I believe the Challenger 2 is the only MBT lin the world with a rifled cannon, 120mm.

.Gaines

2. Owen

Owen O

I assume we all know why they are putting on the display on that date ?
    ;)

Shame it's a Mark IV replica as I associate that with Cambrai .

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member

Indeed I do. in 1980 I visited the museum and they had a WW1 rhomboid female tank on display, I cannot remember the Mark, long time ago. It was set up so you could walk through it. I cannot remember details anymore but I do remember thinking I could not imagine human beings being in one on a WW! battlefield, It reeked gruesomeness , poor chaps within. It is essentially just a big riveted Rhomboid shaped box of what appears to be 1/2" thick sheet armor. The engine sat in a mount bolted to the floor. No valve cover so oil could be applied directly. The gas tank bolted to the top for gravity feed, ummmmm, cannot imagine that gave one confidence. The exhaust pipe went out vertically through a simple hole in the top. I remember the driver having a dished out shallow "bubble" with a slit in it for vision, I think the machine gunners did as well. For comfort over rough terrain Vickers kindly glud a cow or horse hide layer of leather to cushion your skull . . Imagine putting your eye against the slot in the face of Maxiums ! But addition protection was provided in terms of a small iron mask with eye slits as well and the rest of the face a chainmail drape.

In our media everyone is a hero. To me it would be heroic to enter one of these and beyond that to enter it a second time, if there was one. Gas fumes, cordite fumes, burning flesh fumes, unimaginable noise, tracts all around you, the engine itself, gas sloshing over head, 8MMs plinking off the sides, anticipation of a heavier caliber hit, no suspension over ground or shell craters and of course high risk mechanical failure.

Those guys were brave. I have posted this before, but thought the anniversary of WW1 deserved another sharing The air conditioned nicely suspended high tech Challenger sounds a bit better. I think the Chieftain had a tea brewer built in , I assume no less of the Challenger.

Gaines

4. The_Historian

The_Historian Pillboxologist

Unfortunately the original tanks in the collection are way too fragile to run these days.
    Took these pics back in July-
    Mk IV Replica

[​IMG]

Mk IV Male

[​IMG]

Mk IX Troop Carrier

[​IMG]

Mk I Male "Clan leslie"

[​IMG]

Mk V Female

[​IMG]

Mk VIII Internationale

[​IMG]

A7V

[​IMG]

Mk V Male

[​IMG]

George Patton and CAC like this.
  5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member

Great pictures, thank you Gordon. I love the Bovington Museum and they have a nice newsletter by email.

Gaines