Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Britain conquered and split along Vichy lines

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Bollotti, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Bollotti

Bollotti Member

What if Hitler had invaded Britain in 1940, and the UK surrendered along the lines of Vichy France. i.e. Germans occupy London and the South East of England, and the rest of the country i.e. North England, Wales, Scotland are governed independently.

Would a portion of the army and navy have fought on, and if so where from, bearing in mind the US was not in the war at this stage.

Would the British fleet have been welcomed in the US, or would they have sailed to one of the colonies to regroup? Alternatively, would they have been kept in dock for the duration of the war?

I find it fascinating that Vichy troops fought against Free French troops. Could the same thing have happened in this scenario?

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

A very well constructed question Bollotti, I think that the demarkation line would be the English/Scottish border the reason is that Hitler would want at the very least the industrial heartland of Britain and the many larger ports such as Liverpool and Newcastle while Wales may be given some semi autonomy as you suggest in regards to the lines of Vichy France.

Essentially the Armed forces may fight on for a while in guerilla warfare as Churchill had organised with the help of the OSE but German retribution on the civillian population would eventually weaken the resolve as how many civillians are killed before the millitias stop that is up for speculation.

Part of the surrender would be the surrender of the Royal Naval Home Fleet intact and that any ship fleeing would be sunk or at the very least retribution towards the families of the crews involved. The ships would not be kept in the docks as they would be pressed into the Kriegsmarine.

And on your final point there would be those who would see that service to the Reich advantageous to their financial and social status, not only that but is a known fact that fraternisation between British Women and German Soldiers would arise and that many would eventually marry if it is deemed that they meet the requirements and that those women would more than likely move to Germany and bare German children for the Reich, this could pave the way for thousands of British Women to better themselves under the Reich.

And lastly, yes you can bet that many within Britain would sign up to join the German Military, but they would be posted to fight on the Russian Front not be stationed in Britain, while law and order would befall the boys in blue under the auspices of the Gestapo.

Again well done on this question.

v.R

4. Bollotti

Bollotti Member

I have read the rules, and I cannot see what I have done wrong.

It would have been more helpful if you could just have pointed this out.

5. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

• Search the What If…section before posting to make sure your topic has not been discussedbefore. If it has, feel free to contribute to the existing thread. Ifnot, create a new thread following these rules:
      • Make sure your question is clear and well thought out.
      • Provide background information on your question.
      • Provide your thoughts/theory on the subject.
      • DO NOT post only the question.
      • DO NOT post only 1-line of information.
    • Use descriptive thread titles. Starting a thread with atitle that is simply "What if" or "German Panzers" is useless. Be asdetailed in your title as possible, as this will help others inidentifying previous discussions and improves the search function. Asexamples, this is not a good thread title, while this one is quite good.
    • Failure to comply with any of these section-specific ruleswill result in deletions of threads, infractions, and in some cases,termination with out explanation.

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

You need to give us more of a backgound as to how the Germans managed this.

What do you think about your scenario, do you think it was even a possible scenario?

Slipdigit likes this.
  7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Tomcat answered it, thanks.