Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British army dump - Amazing Lee-Enfield relics

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Steve T, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Steve T

Steve T Member

Hi All

Thought I would share with you the result of my latest relic recovery outing to a British army dump site here in the UK.

The area I had been searching, (which produced all those sling buckles, P14 adapters and Bakelite scabbards you may have seen in my last post), had been cleared and leveled by the guys who also dig the site, but they had opened up a new area a few yards away. I obviously took advantage of the pre-dug hole and commenced digging. At a depth of about 6 feet, the dump was STILL going, with no signs of stopping. There were at least 4 different layers, with the very bottom one being the only one to show no signs of a 'burn'. There was a lot of stuff coming out, but much of it beyond repair due to the fire, but persistence pays off, and I soon had a HUGE haul of finds.

Found a big stack of Lee-Enfield No 1 nose caps, a Browning MG pistol grip, and two handles I originally thought were off a Vickers MG, but now I've identified as coming from a Lewis MG! Lots of other cool stuff as well, most of which is now in citric acid soak to stop it corroding any more.

I've posted a couple of pictures below, but You can see the dig itself and all of the finds in the below video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5XuewYpYBc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin Bull and Drew5233 like this.
  2. Ruud

Ruud Member

Nice stuff Steve !

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Great finds - especially the Lewis grips ! Many thanks for posting them here...... :salute:

4. Steve T

Steve T Member

Thanks Ruud :) :) It was a great dig!

Thanks Martin. I wondered if you would post! The No 1 nose caps came out of the cleaning process in remarkable condition, as did the Lewis spade grips :)

Attached Files:

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good show, you managed to save quite a few of them in a fairly good condition.