Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British crate experts needed.

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Skipper, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Experts only please:

can someone confirm this is a British WW2 Bren transit crate ? (or was it used for other amno? ).

It is marked F&L (maker I believe ) C235 II (Mark II I think) and dated 1942. The colour is sand (beautiful inside and somewhat faded and greyish outside).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought it for 20 euros this morning and thought it was worth the deal.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Hi Skipper,

I'm not sure what it is, but it's certainly not a normal Bren transit case.Those are made of wood, strengthened with steel strips and have quite complicated wooden partitions inside which precisely fit the gun and cleaning parts.

But I'd sure like to know what 'your' case is........

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

( Later )

I think I've got it - C235 denotes a case used for 3.7" AA shells, 5.5" propellant charges and Charges, Demolition No. 14.......and apparently the same type of box is still in service today.

( Later still.........) 'F & L' is most likely Fisher & Ludlow Ltd of Birmingham ( who also made steel helmets ).

TD-Tommy776, von Poop and Skipper like this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks a lot Martin. So this would be the harder to find AA shell crate version ? That would be great. The date makes it obvious it is WW2 . I saw some Nato crates too but those have been repainted in Kaki with yellow stencilling and post war versions do not have the dates engraved but stencilled . Mine apparently still has its orignal cammo paint too.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Purely for reference, my Brenda sat on her standard wooden transit case.
    [​IMG]

(And FAO any busybodies out there; she is an entirely legal ex-gun, an elaborate paperweight, the poor old thing.)

Martin Bull likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Cheers Adam, I'm actually glad I bought my metal crate . I'm about certain I have another one somewhere in the cellar. I've been having that one for ages, but the reason I bought the one shown here is the paint .