Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British military 'inventions''?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by bronk7, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Oh I dunno.

Remember, if brute force isn't working, you just arn't using enough of it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNyQvhsQE8

bronk7 likes this.
  2. Carronade

Carronade Ace

The early atomic bombs weighed 10-12,000lb, and the first naval aircraft that could carry them was the AJ Savage, a twin prop with a jet "booster" in the tail for takeoff and high-speed attack runs. As a stopgap the Navy used P2V Neptune patrol planes, normally land-based, which could only take off from the Midway class carriers and needed rocket assistance; however it could not land back aboard. The A3D, redesignated A3, was the jet successor to the AJ.

In the beginning of the atomic age, a lot of people thought that nuclear weapons would dominate warfare. This was also when the independent Air Force was founded (1947), and they were pushing the idea that strategic nuclear bombers would render things like aircraft carriers obsolete. So the Navy had a couple of reasons for wanting to get into the nuclear delivery game, national security being one of them ;)

Bombs soon became smaller, and aircraft like the A4D/A4 could deliver at least tactical nukes. The Polaris submarines became the Navy's main strategic nuclear force, but the A3J/A5 Vigilante was developed as a supersonic nuclear bomber for use on Forrestal-type supercarriers in the 1960s.

I'm fairly sure we don't have nukes on ships anymore. I know the nuclear land-attack Tomahawks were specifically withdrawn under one of the arms control treaties with the Soviets.

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Were the British the first or one of the first ones to develop the aircraft carrier?

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

There were a number of 'firsts' from 1910 to 1917, but I think HMS Furioius has the best claim to being the first aircraft carrier, a ship equipped to launch and land wheeled airplanes. At first she had only a flying-off deck forward and retained her original superstructure, masts, funnel, etc. amidships. Despite this, one of her pilots, Squadron Leader Dunning IIRC, managed to land on once; his 'arresting gear' consisted of sailors who grabbed the plane as it alighted on the deck. Sadly a second attempt was unsuccessful and fatal. After this she was given a landing-on deck aft, still with the superstructure amidships. During the 1920s she was fully converted to a carrier and served through WWII.

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

ty Carronade..as usual, concise and informative...

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

is that with or without arresting gear?? wow!....that is a well engineered plane!!....Israelis used them at Entebbe..I think I've seen it before, but never paid attention

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Without...

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

whoa!! I'd say that was dang fine flying!!!....of course flying into the wind...but, holy moly!!!...

9. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

it looks a little like arrested, that's why I couldn't tell [ a loooong arrested ]

10. Takao

Takao Ace

No hook, no assisted takeoff(cat or JATO/RATO)

Of course, the marine pilots had a sense of humor.
    [​IMG]

Another video, in color, audio is music only
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

11. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, very funny! that should be a capital M, ....please

12. Takao

Takao Ace

267 feet is hardly long for an unarrested landing.

Oh, and watch the color video. The C-130 does some takeoffs...using the angled deck.

13. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, I know.......that's why it looked like one.....plus they use it for the AC version!!...