Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British sub comms with particular ref: T-class '44 onwards

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by jimmytwohand, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Hello again all, some debate as to whether this is the right place for this request but i'm drawing a bit of a blank over at the other place and google is not my friend on this one (im being impatient too :) ).

I'm still researching my grandfather who was a leading telegraphist aboard HMS Tiptoe a 3rd group T-Class British submarine operating in the far East.I am trying to find out about the communications and drawing a complete blank.

What i would ideally like to know is:
    • What gear was being used and how did it operate.
    • Any photos/plans of a contemporary T-class W/T shack.
    • Details of the duties of a W.T.3, daily routine and action stations.

If anyone can help it would as always be much appreciated. I cant even find general details let alone specifics.

Jim

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

jimmytwohand likes this.
  3. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Cracking stuff. Hadn't seen the Hanson link! I've been through dozens and dozens of the pages on google too. Good spot! Ill add it into the post on the other place. Good for flavour as well as the blueprint. I've seen that elsewhere but not actually in a size that is readable so it's really useful.

Looks like there could be something in your comms link too. Don't mind doing a bit of digging, I've been coming up so short i was starting to wonder if it was still classified stuff.

Thanks a bunch!
    J

4. urqh

Your right, Google doesn't seem to be very friendly with ww2 sub comms even....Given that much of today's orginisation in signals comes from that era...and given the Sub service was indeed the silent service as is today...Maybe docs are not too available...Certainly I can't find specifics for this either.

http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/RATT%20AT%20SEA%20IN%20THE%20ROYAL%20NAVY.htm

Is an interesting overall RN comms setup for ww2 and onwards, not specifically subs but surely they would have fitted into the RN comms network here. I can see where the RAF comcens of my time originate from by this too...

I think anything sub is always if not secretive but silent. I'll keep looking too though...Mil comms is a giant of a subject. I've bookmarks going back years I've forgotten about..But yep..nothing obvious is there?

5. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Glad it wasn't just my searching skills! You've already given me a nice afternoon's worth of reading, much appreciated. You are right on the Silent Service bit. I feel like too much has already vanished though so i'm going to keep trying to see what i can squeeze out of the tight lipped pirates. :)

6. Takao

Takao Ace

From: "The T-class Submarine: The Classic British Design", by Paul Kemp

The T-Class had either a Type 54 or 55 transmitter and two receiver outfits, CDC and CDF, and the DF equipment.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=04fyEFdDTOQC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=%22T-Class+submarine%22,+wireless&source=bl&ots=BSm34cVkD3&sig=tVCHlK1yQ9k0oOsocrfvALWLCz8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Lei0UsjoOdOxsASqhYHAAQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=cdc&f=false
    Just click on the link for page 62. Page 61 also has a bit on comms procedure - which included "aiming" the boat at the VLF transmitter to insure reception.

Page 59 also has a photo of the W/T room on page 59, again click on the page 59 link
    http://books.google.com/books?id=04fyEFdDTOQC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=%22T-Class+submarine%22,+wireless&source=bl&ots=BSm34cVkD3&sig=tVCHlK1yQ9k0oOsocrfvALWLCz8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Lei0UsjoOdOxsASqhYHAAQ&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=wireless&f=false

You Brits really need something like this site:
    http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm#ss

urqh likes this.
  7. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Thanks Takao!

Unfortunately i've never seen anything like a Commonwealth version of the site you have listed for the USN. Definitely one for the bookmarks.

Another unfortunate thing is there seems to be differences in the way google books handles different nationalities too. I cant get any preview of that book as there is "no ebook available" apparently. A different version of the publication allows snippet view but that is completely unreadable and only gives a sentence from 3 pages max.

The nearest library copy of this book is 60 miles away and i have not yet found anyone with a hard copy. Thanks for the help though! It confirms that i need a copy of this book -i would really like the photo- and allows me to look into the type 54 or 55. My gosh, aiming the boat to to insure reception! I bet that went down like a lead balloon. Sorry skipper we need to jiggle the aerial again!

Ive been digging through the site Urqh provided for RATT and have found a couple of pages of use now that i am equipped wih your 54/55 info.:

http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/PAGE%2030.htm
    http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/1945%20June%20edition%20eight.pdf

Thanks Takao! Starting to get somewhere now....

8. urqh

Thats an excellent PDF J....Good find.

9. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Well that's your link combined with Takao's extra info. It was an allied victory. ;)