Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Brussels Army Museum - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Roel, Feb 16, 2005.

1. hahnficken

hahnficken New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Love to go, just so I could meet the mighty Roel in the flesh, would he survive such an experience? :D

Unfortunately (...or maybe fortunately for Roel) I am busy that weekend with a puppet show.

Sorry my dears you'll have to enjoy yourselves without this particular icky girl wittering on. :lol:

2. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'll spend a week in Belgium at beginning of august (starting day 4, I think) with my wife.
    I'll suff... humm, I'll go with her to visit cathedrals and such around Brussels and Liege (spelling?), and then we'll visit the Ardennes region for a couple days.
    Any advice?
    Is there any antiques fair around those dates ineteresting enough to spend a few hours?

3. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Advice - what are you looking for? I have plenty of advice when it comes to nature and museums in the area but it seems your time will be limited. I'd say the museum at La Gleize is good and relatively close to Brussels, it has a Tiger II out front so you can't miss it. ;)

The surrounding region, where the Salm and the Amblève rivers merge, is also worth it if you ask me. Stavelot, very close to La Gleize, has lots of old architecture and such that is nice to visit if that is what you're after (and a M3A1 halftrack near the bridge if it's not! :D ).

Antique fairs, I don't know. These things you generally have to run into by accident.

4. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I take note.

Seems there is a Wings&Wheels that weekend, but it's on the other side of Brussels and we won't have a car until a couple days later. Pity. :(

5. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    wing and weels is on the 12th of august, nooooooooooooo. i'm doind the deathmarch. it starts on 19.00 on the 11th and ends on 19.00 on the 12th
    and the 13th i'm recovering from walking those 100 kilometers. damm, i never have luck

6. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We'll stay at Bastogne three or four days.
    Any suggestions besides the obvious ones? :D

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The German war cemetary at Noville. Very sobering. Six men buried for every cross, some of them as young as sixteen, some of them in their fifties.

8. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    All righty then!

Ricky, Quillin, possibly SOE, and myself will go. I'm still trying to get Panzerprofile and Steiner to come too. I'd very much like to know which day you guys prefer; either is fine with me.

All we need after that is a time and a place. The best gathering point is probably the Brussels South/Midi station, which is only about half an hour away from the museum and very easily reached by public transportation. As for time, I was thinking we could meet up around lunchtime, go to the museum, then have dinner together and split up somewhere in the evening to return. I suppose this would largely depend on the train times, so do speak up, Ricky!

9. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    place and time are no problems for me. i live only 25 kilomters away from brussel and i have a train every half an hour.
    best station would be brussel central because it's the closest one and we only need to go to the "lawstreet" (real name is wetstraat) and then straigt throug to the museum.

if possible, maybe we could meet somewhere in the morning. Brussels is big and the grant market is not so far away from central station

so, who brings the big sign saying "TANK FORUM" so that we can easely recognize the place of assembling :p
    no seriously, how do we recognize each other??? or do we give each other a call, telling where we stand?

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    What was the date again? :oops:

11. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    the 26th or the 27th. it's your call.

12. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I went yesterday, and bought a couple books at the museum store for some 20 euros less than they cost in Spain. :D

Now I'm in Leuven, and tomorrow to Bastogne.

13. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    sow, how do you like belgium so far? :)

14. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Is Sunday suitable? Are most places closed on a Sunday in Belgium?

In terms of transport around & from the UK at leat, Saturday would be a better day.

15. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    some places close on sunday but the majority stas open and close on mondays or theusdays.there are more people at home during the weekends so closing an sundays would be a loss of money. (bla bla bla...... :D )

so what's it going to be? sunday or saturday?

16. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The website
    http://www.legermuseum.be/ (just click "nl fr en" at the top right for English)
    says it is open all days except monday, so Sunday would be just fine if it suits you better. It is important to note, however, that the museum closes between 12:00 and 13:00 and its day ends at 16:45 for some reason. It would probably not be practical to meet too early, then.

If transportation would be easier on Saturday (as it is here) then we should go for Saturday.

17. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i agree with you but may i note that if we meet to late that we might have less time to visit the museum. it's quite a walk to the museum (i'll try to find some info about busses)

18. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    these are the numbers of busses that stop at the museum.
    Bus: N° 27,28,36,61,67,80
    some of those will probably leave from the station. (but i have no idea how long the drive will take and how much it will cost but probably not long and not too much :) )

19. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Saturday is best, and could I request that we meet at the train station where us Brits arrive? I just don't trust my ability to ask for a bus tickit in another language! :oops:

I will try and figure out how I will be arriving (presumably by train via the Chunnel...), and hopefully I will be able to meet up with SOE on the way.

If I go via the Chunnel, I'll have to remember to wave at the Toastinators as I pass!

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm going to go ahead and let you be the guide in Brussels, it's been a while since I was there and I'm sure you know the ways of the Belgians better than me... Besides, they might speak French! :lol:

At what station does the international train arrive from England? I'm assuming that's going to be Central. Ricky, do you have anything like a time and platform number so that we could be ready & waiting for you as you arrive? ...just so that you won't have to ask anyone directions ;)