Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bubble windows...

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by CAC, Sep 5, 2012.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Just had a thought for a question...a little slow this week!

Anybody reading the book "Last Plane out of Berlin" - would know of Sidney Cotton, an Australian born in Queensland...He served as a spy during WW2. He had a number of business associates withing Germany prior to the war and used those contacts and travel history to gain access to Germany...He would take areial shots from his aircraft simply flying from one place to the other...He had an understandable paranoia that a 109 would zoom up from behind and shoot down his (electra from memory)...he or a co-pilot (usually a woman - go son.) would regularly open the side door and peak behind the aircraft. Not only would this create a heck of a noise but more importantly, suck all the accumalated heated air within the cabin...making it freezing each time they checked their six. So Sidney - a person who designed cars and planes as a child (man after my own heart) invented the bubble window...so he could peak behind him without having to open the door. He insists he was the first...a number of American companies would despute this...We all know how much that invention was used by the allies...interestingly the Germans (for all their tech edge) couldnt bend glass/perspex and keep it clear...so the Germans would host the inventer of said technology but never enjoy it themselves...i guess my question is, who else knew this or would like to despute it?

2. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

What was the time frame of his claim of inventing the bubble window?

3. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I have read this before. I recall he flew a high Nazi official and used him to divert over someplace special he wanted to photograph.
    - Google Search brings up heaps of results for him. Famous pilot.

My nine months with Sydney Cotton’s Private Air Force.

RAF Reconnaissance Aircraft
    [​IMG]

Inspirations for James Bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "He would also openly take photographs of installations using people as cover for doing so—including Hitler's deputy, Hermann Göring. Cotton also flew the last civilian plane out of Berlin at the outbreak of World War II, taking pictures of the German navy as he did so.[SUP][17][/SUP]"

Me pleading for an Intelligence forum here... yet again... so we can keep all these topic areas together!!! (Please, please Otto!)
    Check out the Secret War forum on WW2Talk