Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Building an M1 Carbine(ish) rifle from a Ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, Apr 24, 2013.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Thanks Ken!

Quite a difference!

[​IMG]

Interesting video showing just what a real carbine can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzKS8dT3e0o

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Looks good. Its really coming along well.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

And here's the finished project on the right... I mean on the left.

I never could get any grain to show on the beech, so opted for a faux antique look using the stain rather like paint.

It was raining hard yesterday, so I couldn't really ring it out for accuracy. I did put 50 rounds through it just to check reliability, and it was fine.

[​IMG]

4. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Sweet job you should be very proud that you have that kind of talent Kodiak, good on ya.

KTK

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Just a final post for this thread. I did ring this thing out for accuracy over the last couple of months. With the Federal AutoMatch .22, (which is not a high end ammo, but better than average), I can get about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards from a rest. For me, that's pretty damned good with iron sights. Offhand, standing on my hind legs, I can bounce a golf ball around until it's pretty much out of sight. Most of that is a testament to the really nice sights and trigger work I wrote about earlier in the thread. The sights in particular (Tech Sights 200) are just perfect. The adjustments are very precise and once you have a zero it's hard to miss. I'd recommend them for anyone with a Ruger 10/22.
    The silencer came in a while back; a Huntertown Guardian. It's a nice little suppressor and It's a real joy to shoot without the damned ear muffs. My son and daughter in law came out with me today and we burned about a 1000 rounds of .22 through various handguns and rifles, mostly with the suppressor. It was a gas! My daughter in law was particularly enamored with the novelty of shooting with a silencer and I suspect that's going to cost my son a few bucks to get a couple of them for their shooting fun.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Oh, I forgot to add that during the long wait for the silencer, I bought a threaded barrel for my Buckmark and an adapter for an antique Stevens rifle I have. The Stevens is a model 1916 and came with threaded barrel for a 1/2 20 threaded silencer - silencers were just considered polite back in those days. Anyway, I had to buy an adapter from 1/2 20 thread to the modern 1/2 28 thread.
    The 1/2 28 thread also works for the thread on all AR15's, but I was afraid the pressure would damage this silencer, so I managed to avoid testing it on the AR. I can foresee more suppressors in my future, which will not please the wife who'd rather waste our excess money on food and shelter and crap like that.