Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Campaigns and Battles

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by KMZgirl, Oct 27, 2016.

1. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Did it! Here are 3 more screen shots.

Attached Files:

2. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Clues...

Attached Files:

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm pretty sure the 1857th Service Command Unit was just the unit that discharged him at Fort Sam Houston. I came across info on another veteran who fought in the ETO with the 83rd Division who was discharged through the 1857th SCU at Fort Sam Houston. It was very common for the discharging unit to be listed on a soldiers discharge papers. Unfortunately, this makes it more difficult to determine the unit with which a soldier spent most of his service.

Added: This would explain the short period of time with the 1857th SCU.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

He is actually one of the men training in the videos yes, I've seen them. The clip on jungle weapons is him. Can you imagine finding color video of your dad training army rangers? He is the instructor with the Thompson sub machine gun.

6. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Got another question. I've "googled" it with no luck. What does "casual detachment" mean? I pretty much understand the detachment part, but what does "casual" mean? Thanks!

7. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

"Casual Detachment" was a group of men "detached" or ordered to operate separate from their regiment or company for a specific duty. Typically they were replacements or returnees from hospital. A "casual" was anyone detached or in transit from one unit to another.

8. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

So, he was a "casual" of the casual detachment 8925 B. I did find sports articles in The Bull Sheet (Ramgarh Training Center) paper. One of the baseball teams he was on was called "The Old Casuals." I assume there were newer casuals. He was also on a team (can't remember if it was baseball or basketball) called (if I remember right), "The Burma Bombers." I am really enjoying learning and really appreciate all you guys help. If there are any other members who know people who served at the Ramgarh Training Center, I would love to hear from you.

9. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

You guys have been such a huge help! I have another question, please. Next to India Burma, it says GO 33 WD 45. This is all that is listed in that section. I've tried to search this out on my own, here and other places. I know it means general order 33 war dept. 1945. I don't understand what this means. I am gathering that an order was made (#33) in 1945. Does this order have to do specifically with India Burma? It was made after the fact? Even though I know what GO 33 WD 45 stands for, I don't understand what it means or its implications? Thanks!

10. lwd

lwd Ace

11. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

There is so much to learn. I really appreciate the help. :)