Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Can anyone identify the location of this WW2 picture?

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by dsiegel2275, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dsiegel2275

dsiegel2275 New Member

I have this photograph of my grandfather (he is on the right) taken during WW2. I'm trying to identify - based on the fountain and architecture - where this photo was taken. From other photos that I have of him in uniform I do know that he served in the Fifth Army and also had a Northern Africa badge on his left shoulder.

He enlisted April 1944 and stayed overseas for at least a year and a half. So he was likely in Northern Africa and Italy.

View attachment 21831

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hmm , I wonder whether this could be in Palerme. The architecture looks quite familiar . This is not the building but the style is quite typical of neoclassicism (norman architcecture has dome arches and your picture has perpendicular ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://thierry.jamard.over-blog.com/360-index.html

3. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Interesting picture!

I'm looking specifically at the seats in the background ;) This looks like somewhere were people would regularly sit around the fountain....or more likely swimming pool.

Note how many of them there are...and all the same, and none of them "recliners" as such. This feels more like a hotel or similar rather than a private home.

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I would say somewhere in Italy and it looks like an inside court of a "palazzo" as I see no evidence of a street. It is pretty usual to have some sort of fountain in the inner court (internal plumbing came later so that would be the main water source for the building's inhabitants) but they were rarely big enough to be recycled as swimming pools. "Palazzi" were often still private residences of noble families in WW2 Italy if it was a hotel I would expect tables as well as chairs though the chairs probably exclude one recycled as a government building or museum. The one in the picture looks like it has multiple courts so it must be pretty big, the archway in the backgroung looks like it's closed by an wrought iron gate but on right it looks like a second court. Don't know why but I' thinking of the center of Rome where there are a number of large palaces with multiple internal courts.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

North Africa and Italy....I would split the difference at look at Sicily....What are the other pictures you have?

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I tend to agree with Italy for the reasons given by TOS.